Chapter 11

Ethan and Cal jump off Ethan's bike just as Scott and Stiles arrive. "Where is she?" Stiles asks as he looks round the empty school car park. "Over here!" Alison calls coming out of the shadows with Lydia. "What happened?" Scott asks. "I don't know. I just got here." "Lydia?" Cal asks the girl softly. "It's the same thing--same as the pool. I got into my car, heading somewhere totally different, then ended up here. And you told me to call when there's a dead body." "You found a dead body?" Stiles asks. "Not yet." "What do you mean not yet? You're supposed to call after you find the dead body. After." "Oh, no. I'm not doing that again. You find the dead body from now on." "How are we supposed to find the dead body? You're the one who's always finding the dead body." "Stiles! Shut Up!" Cal says making Ethan and Alison chuckle quietly. "Guys...I found the dead body." Scott says as he  looks past them to the school sign. Atop it Deputy Graeme lies. Garrote around her neck. Blood streaming down the stone and brick.

The next morning Cal wakes up to Ethan stroking his hair softly. "Mh. Morning" he says sleepily. "Morning baby. Come on we've got school and Stiles and Scott will probably want to talk to me about stuff as they don't fully trust me yet." Cal groans but sits up. "Fine but I get your jumper." Ethan chuckles softly "Deal."

Cal smiles as he walks into school with Ethan's arm round his shoulder

Cal smiles as he walks into school with Ethan's arm round his shoulder. "You sure about this?" Ethan asks. "Yes it's time I stopped worrying about what people think about me." he responds as they reach his locker. "Come on we've got English." Ms Blake walks the aisle between desks as she lectures. "Idioms, analogies, metaphors and similes. All tools for the writer to tell their story." She pauses at Lydia's desk, noticing her drawing a picture of a tree in her notebook. "Lydia, I wasn't aware you had so many hidden talents." "You and every guy I've ever dated." Cal snorts and tries to control his laughter. "And that was an idiom by the way." Looking unimpressed, Lydia goes back to drawing. "Idioms are something of a secret to the people who know the language or culture. They're phrases that only make sense if you know key words. Saying 'jump the gun' is meaningful only if you know about the starting gun in a race. Or a phrase like 'seeing the whole board'." "In chess." Stiles says. "That's right, Stiles. Do you play?" she asks. "My father does." Stiles responds. "Now when does an idiom become a cliché?" Cal zones out at this point and starts fiddling with Ethan's jumper.

While other students drift through the hall below, Scott and Stiles corner Ethan and Cal in the stairwell. "You want to know about Emissaries?" Ethan asks. "We want to know about your Emissaries." Scott clarifies. "Why are you even talking to me? You see me as a killer." Ethan asks. "Is he looking at me? You threatening me? You know what I'm going to do? I'm going to break off an extra large branch of mountain ash, wrap it in wolfsbane, roll it in mistletoe and shove it right up your freaking--" "Stiles. We get it. We're talking to you because I know you didn't want to them to kill Boyd." Scott cuts Stiles off. "You don't know what we owe them. Especially Deucalion." Ethan says. "What's that mean?" Stiles asks "They weren't like Kali and Ennis when they met him. They weren't Alphas." Cal explains. "What were you?" Scott asks. "Omegas." Ethan says as he glances past Scott and Stiles to make sure they're not being listened to. "In actual wolf packs the Omega's the scapegoat, the last to eat, the one who has to take the abuse from the rest of the pack." Cal explains. "That was us." Ethan finishes. "So, you and your brother were the bitches of the pack." Stiles says. "Something like that." "Bitches." Stiles says rather enjoying it. Cal glares and slaps Stiles "Shut up Mi-" "Don't you dare use my real name." Stiles cuts him off. "Stiles, please shut up. What happened?" Scott asks. "Our pack--they were killers. People talk about us as monsters. They're the ones who gave us the reputation. And our Alpha was the worst of them." Ethan explains. "Why didn't you just fight back? Form Voltron Wolf and kick all their asses?" Stiles asks. "We couldn't. We didn't know how to control it back then." Ethan tells them. "Deucalion taught you." Scott realises. Ethan nods "And then we fought. We took on the whole pack, one-by-one. By the time we got to our Alpha, he was begging for his life. We tore him apart. Literally." he explains. "Well, that was a heartwarming story." Stiles says. "What about your Emissary?" Scott asks. Ethan shakes his head with regret. "Then they're all dead? Kali and Ennis' too?" Scott asks. "All except for Deucalion's." Cal tells them. "You mean Morrell?" Stiles asks. Before he can confirm it, Ethan flinches. A look of pain on his face, his hand moves to his chest. "What's wrong? Are you hurt?" Scott asks. "Not me. My brother." Ethan says.