21) Steering

Killua's p.o.v
••••••••••••••••
After going back into the cabin with Gon I think that's when everything really hit me. I was thinking of so many things at once it was hard to concentrate. It's hard to believe that almost my entire crew was wiped out in the span of a few hours. Gon was shocked by the news too. He tried coming up with what if's and maybes but I just shook my head at him.

"Killua I'm so sorry...I know that they were your friends.."

I sigh. "It's fine. I knew there was going to be loss on this journey...just not this much."

Gon sits up in the bed and places his hands together. He's thinking about something..I've noticed that he always has the same look on his face when he's deep in thought.

I've also been thinking about something. I'm going to give him another chance to go home. I know I've already gone this far but..I've accepted the fact that I care about him. Seeing him get hurt like that made me so angry.

"Gon. I need you to listen carefully. If you want to go home you need to say it now. Because this is your last chance. I'll turn this ship around and I'll take you-"

"Killua." Gon interrupts.

I tilt my head down slightly. "I thought you'd feel the same. Well I'll let you know what the next course of action is. And we will be needing your help with managing the ship. Rest up for now but I think we'll take off in about an hour. I'll be back soon."

"Ok killua.."

I give him a small smile and then turn away and head out of my cabin. Leorio meets me by the front of the ship where the wheel is.

"We're gonna move out soon. It won't take long to get out of deaths strip but I'm just a little worried about some of the other ships that will be lurking around at the end of the strip."

"If we stay more East we should be fine."

I nod. "Tell Kurapika and Oliver to start getting the sails in place. Lift the anchor afterwards. I'm going to check the canons."

"Alright."

I head over to the canons and check each one to make sure they are all loaded and ready Incase of an emergency. After that I light all of the lanterns that were out out.

Oliver and Kurapika are arguing about something so I don't notice when Gon pops up from behind me.

"I can help now."

I jump slightly at the sound of his voice. I turn around and our eyes meet. "Are you sure? You can rest more if you need."

He shakes his head. "I'm fine. Really."

I can't keep from forming a smile on my face. "Ok then. You can help me with directing the ship out of here then." I grab his hand without really thinking and pull him over to where the wheel is. I place his hands on the wheel."

"Wait you want me to do this!?"

I chuckle. "Yep."

"No no no no. I'll crash and then we'll all die!"

"Gees have a little confidence. I'll be right next to you telling you what to do the whole time." I say.

He gulps and tightens his grip on the wheel. "Alright."

"We're ready to set off!" Kurapika yells from the other side of the ship.

I can tell Gon is pretty nervous doing this so I step closer to him and set my hands over his. "I'll direct you." I say quietly. My chest is pressed up against his back as I stand slightly behind him. I can hear his heartbeat...

The ship starts moving and I move the wheel in the direction it needs to be in. Gon stays quiet but watches as our hands move the ship together. Kurapika yells things here and there and Leorio is messing with some of the sails. Oliver is probably below deck.

Eventually we get out of the cave. I squint my eyes until they adjust to the outside light. Gon's face lights up a bit. Hopefully this distracts him from everything. After we are out of deaths strip I'll show him the paper I found on the island and see if he recognizes it. We really need to start focusing on the rest of the journey. I want to do this as fast as possible...I don't know how much longer Alluka has.

I lift my hands from Gon's. "See? That wasn't so bad."

He smiles. "It was better with you next to me." He doesn't take his eye off the ocean in front of him as he talks.

That sentence sends butterflies through my stomach. "Oh really?"

"Mhm."

Every time I try and get a closer look at his face he turns it further away from me. What's he hiding..

I step away from him and walk over to the edge of the ship and set my arms on the ledge and stare out. "Gon."

His eyes flicker up to me. "Yea?"

"If you want...or if you feel more comfortable being in my cabin instead of the bunk room then you can stay..I wouldn't mind having someone else in there."

"I'd like that."

Kurapika makes his way up to us. "Based on where we are on the map it looks like we will be stopping at 2 more islands before reaching Light Haven. It should take us a total of 5 days to reach it."

I let out a sigh of relief. "That's good. I thought it would take us much longer." I say.

"Well that is if everything goes smoothly. Hopefully there won't be any storms."

I nod.

Kurapika sits on the ledge of the ship and writes something on the map. Gon watches him as he does so. His eyes follow the movement of Kurapika's pen. I just can't take my eyes off him...

I think I might.....
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
YALL I AM SO SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING. I GOT REALLY BAD WRITERS BLOCK AND I ALSO GOT PRETTY BUSY. forgive me 🙏 I'll probably only be updating once a week now.

Anyways question of the chapter:
Do you think it was a good idea for Killua to invite Gon to stay in his cabin?