Chapter 66: Returning from New York

I looked out the window at the many clouds. The plane had just taken off and I was excited to go home after 5 months. I was beyond nervous since I didn't know how much everyone had changed. I was nervous to see my family, Andrew and my friends. I nervously tapped on the 3 journals Carter had given me. I decided to close my eyes and take a nap.

I looked at the letter in my hand, never had I known Carter to beg. I had known the man for years and he sounded urgent or dare I say desperate. I had talked to my parents and they told me that I could go for 3 to 5 months and still have my spot in the residency program. Aunt Bailey and Grandpa Richard told me I could go, but I would have to take a test they would design to guarantee I was fit to work in my residency level. However, here I stood at Andrew's door nervous to tell him. We had been together for almost 6 years. When he let me in, I said "We need to talk." Andrew looked at me and said "Is this a bad one?" I shook my head and said "I don't think so, but I don't know how you would feel about it." Andrew and I sat down in the couch, while I began saying "I received a letter from Carter, he begged me to come to New York for 3 to 5 months to learn some cardio thoracic techniques from him." Andrew said "You saying this like you've already made your decision..." I nodded and said "I'm planning on going.. It's not like Carter to beg for something, I really think there's something wrong." Andrew said "Its not like he's trying to get with you again." I looked at him and said "Andrew!" Andrew said "The last time you saw him he placed his hands on your ass!" I said "Andrew I'm 24 years old, I can take care of myself." Andrew sighed and said "Why do you even want to go!" I answered "He is one of the best cardio thoracic surgeons in the country, plus he has techniques no other surgeon in the world can do. You know I'm thinking in specializing between neuro, general and cardio, but my parents barely let me off their services. I'm so behind in cardio and I think it would be good for me...." Andrew sighed and said "I don't like the idea, but I can't stop you." I nodded, while he opened his arms and I hesitantly went towards him. He wrapped his arms around me and he said "What am I going to do without you for 3 to 5 months....." I sighed and said "I will call you whenever I can..." Andrew pressed a kiss to my temple and I just stayed in his arms.

I had woken up from my nap and I looked at the journal in my hand. I had been hesitant to open it since he gave it to me before I left. However, I had time to read it so I began opening the first one. After opening it, I began to read the first page.

I felt nostalgic as I walked into the building I left behind when I was 16 years old. I saw faces that recognized me as I walked through the halls. I began to make my way to the office I would spend hours in. When I finally made it, I entered and he looked up from his papers. He smiled and said "Ceci welcome, sit please..." I sat down in front of his desk and asked "Carter you and I know your not one to beg.... Why am I here?" Carter said "Always right to busy aren't you." I glared at him, while he sighed and said "Ceci... I brought you here, because you're the only one I trust. I know you're the only one who can take my role in surgery when I'm gone..." My eyes widened and I said "W-What do you mean when you're gone?" Carter sighed and said "When we arrived back here, I began feeling symptoms. I had been avoiding them until recently I couldn't handle it anymore. I went and got some scans early in the month. When the results, arrived it showed that I have a cardiac aneurysm...." He grabbed some scans and gave them to me. I immediately looked up and my eyes widened at the size, while saying "T-This is...." Carter finished for me saying "Inoperable... Thats why I got in contact with you. When I'm gone, I need you to continue my work and help the patients... I want to teach you every single technique of mine..." I said "I'm not even sure I want to specialize in cardio and your just—" He sighed and said "Cecilia, you and I both know you want to do cardio. If you want to pretend you don't then fine. You've been in neuro and general to please your parents. You don't have to do cardio in the end, but if you don't do cardio then you need to pass them down to someone." I nodded and said "Fine... when do we start." Carter stood up and I followed closely behind him.