Chapter 76: Shivering Baby

Lia's POV
The traffic moved slowly as I tried to make it to the hospital. The rain fell heavily, but I kept looking at the side of the road. I kept thinking that my car could navigate through there and I would make it to the exit. I would get a ticket, but the baby could have a fighting chance. Yes, the shivering adorable baby in my arm. I decided to break the law and got on the side of the road. After I got on the side of the road, I began speeding my way towards the exit. When I finally arrived at the exit, I immediately took it slowly keeping my eye in the road and the baby, which kept shivering in my arms. My nerves were on high alert one wrong move and I could kill us both. I kept driving until I finally arrived at Grey-Sloan. It still poured heavily so I immediately ran inside making sure to cover the baby so they wouldn't get more wet.

When I got inside, I was immediately met by confused faces. I began screaming for help and Aunt April, Aunt Cristina, Uncle Alex, Aunt Bailey and Aunt Jo ran towards me. Aunt Bailey looked at me and said "Ceci what's the—" I immediately said "No time to explain just please save them.... They were in a box in the side of the road, while it poured... please don't let them die...." Uncle Alex and Aunt Jo immediately went to work, taking her to trauma room 1. Aunt Bailey looked at my disheveled appearance and said "Are you saying they we're abandoned there with no letter....." I nodded and said "Nothing they just left them there like if they were trash so they could die!" Aunt Bailey nodded and said "I'll call social services...." I immediately tried to get into trauma room 1 and Aunt Cristina held me back saying "Lia you can't go in there!" I began pushing trying to escape her grasp saying loudly "They have nobody! I need to be there! I can't leave them alone! I need to know that their going to be okay! Let me go Aunt Cristina!" Aunt Cristina tried holding on to me and I kept screaming begging her to let me go. I couldn't stay out here while they were in there alone without anyone in their corner. It was just them alone in this vast world not knowing what was their future. I begged my Aunt once more and she let me go. I saw Uncle Alex and Aunt Jo exit trauma room 1 moving the baby and I asked "Where are you taking them!" Jo looked at me and said "We're taking her to the NICU. She's only 1 months old and we need to warm her up right away." I nodded and said "Alright can I come?" Alex looked at me and said "I'm not sure Ceci... I think you should sit this one out...." I looked at him in disbelief and said "I don't want in on the case! I want to be with her and make sure she's okay.... I don't want to leave her side!" Jo and Alex exchanged a look, while Jo said "Alright Ceci let's go...." I began following them and immediately stood next to the small incubator that contained the little girl inside.

When we got to the NICU, Jo and Alex were prepping her up. Making sure to keep her warm so her temperature would go back to normal levels. I was gowned up since I couldn't enter the NICU without being gowned up. As well, I did not want to risk the tiny humans getting sick. When I entered, I saw Alex taking her vitals and I immediately went towards the incubator. When I got there, Alex looked at me and I signaled if I could place my gloved hand inside. He nodded and I carefully placed my hand inside. He was signaled away to attend something, while I carefully reached for her small hand. When the baby felt my hand pass soothingly in her small hand she immediately grasp my finger. My eyes widened and a small smile spread across my features. I looked at her and said "Hey sweetie... I wish I knew what your name was, but I know you've had a rough start, but your safe now... I'll make sure nothing happens to you no matter what. You have a great hospital staff who is going to make sure you are going to make it through this...." I sighed and stayed sitting watching her vitals making sure she was safe.

After sitting with her for some time, a woman's voice interrupted my thoughts. She held a clipboard and a warm smile. She looked at the baby and said "Are you the one who found her?" I nodded and said "Yeah that's me.... Cecilia Grey-Shepherd it's a pleasure to meet you..." The woman looked at me and said "Elizabeth Estefan likewise...." I tore my eyes away from her to look at the baby and she asked "How do you feel after everything....." I sighed and said "Anxious and Angry...." Elizabeth nodded and asked "Why Angry?" I looked at her and said "Well because someone had the audacity to throw a child onto the side of the road where she could have died! If the mother didn't want to have the baby she could have taken her to a church!" Elizabeth nodded and said "Alright you have a valid point but why are you anxious?" I sighed and said "Well because I don't know what's going to happen to this little baby girl..... She has nobody and I can't tear myself from her and leave her here all alone....." Elizabeth looked at me with a curious face and asked "You graduated early from high school age 10 I believe?" I looked at her curiously and said "Yeah I did...." She kept going saying "Top of your class at Columbia University and in medical school. You have been working here since you were 18 and you've also been a long term relationship with Dr. Andrew DeLuca who you are living with." I looked at the woman with utter shock and said "H-How do you know all of this...." Elizabeth smiled and said "I know I sound creepy, but when they told me what you did I asked for your file. From what Dr. Wilson and Dr. Karev told me you can't bare to leave the baby alone, which you confirmed to me not long ago.... " I nodded and said "Why do you need my file?" Elizabeth said "I'm going to get straight to the point. Are you and your boyfriend looking to adopt? I mean if you see a future with him of course." I began to think and of course I saw a future with kids and Andrew as my husband. I found myself nodding and said "I've looked into adoption.... I mean I'm not sure if I can or cannot conceive but it's something I've thought about but I haven't really discussed it with my boyfriend...." Elizabeth nodded and said "Here's my card.... If you want to be considered to adopt the baby girl then we can discuss your application with you and your boyfriend." I nodded and she smiled before leaving the baby girl and I alone.

Andrew's POV

I had just arrived for my shift and when I was parking I saw Derek's car park next to mine. When I saw Meredith, I immediately texted her asking if she had an umbrella. Meredith looked out the window and saw me as she laughed nodding. She opened the umbrella and got out from her car. After she got out of her car, she signaled me to get out of mine. I got out of my car and got under the umbrella with her. Derek was already waiting for us outside with his own umbrella since Meredith was helping me out. When the three of us entered we made our way to the attending lounge to change to our scrubs. After we all changed into our scrubs, we went to the nurses lounge. When we all got to the nurses lounge. We began to overhear a conversation that sparked our interest since they were talking about Lia. A nurse began saying "I cannot believe I would see the day she would scream at the attendings...." The other one nodded and said "I know she went crazy! I mean who wouldn't after experiencing what she did!" Another one nodded and said "Imagine finding a baby in a box in the side of the road!" The nurse nodded and said "Exactly! She had to drive and make sure she wouldn't die on her way here! Her sympathetic nervous system was in full force!" All the nurses laughed and Alex came into the lounge and said "DeLuca! Grey! Shepherd!" The three of us looked at Alex with wide eyes and he said "I'm guessing you've heard...." Meredith nodded and said "Our baby found a baby in the highway!" Alex nodded and said "Yeah...." Derek said "How is she?"Alex said "She was distraught... she couldn't bare to leave the baby alone..." I nodded and asked "Where is she?" Alex immediately said "She's in the NICU with the baby...." I nodded and immediately made my way to the NICU.

When I got to the NICU, I immediately gowned up and entered slowly. When I saw Lia, I headed towards her. When I got there, I saw her looking into the incubator and when I saw what was inside my heart melted. The baby seemed so peaceful and fragile. My heart wanted to burst out my chest when I saw it's tiny hand grasping Lia's finger. Lia immediately saw a reflection and looked up to see me looking at her and the baby. I placed my arm around her and gave her a kiss on the cheek. She scooted to give me space so I could sit down next to her. She laid her head on my shoulder and said "H-How can someone do this to her... I mean there's parents all over the world who just want to have a baby in their lives....." I looked at the baby and said "I don't know sweetheart....." Lia said "If I didn't find her she would be dead... God I hate that they did this to her....." I nodded and said "I'm glad you found her..... I- Will you be staying here tonight or are you going home?" Lia sighed and said "I'm staying here tonight....." I nodded and said "I'll stay here with you... I'll just tell Mer and Bailey to take over my cases for today...." Lia nodded and said "Thank you for staying here with me...." I pressed a kiss to her temple and said "Always...." Lia smiled and kept watching the baby as I sent a message to Bailey and Mer asking them to take over my cases while I stayed with Lia in the NICU. After a few minutes, they agreed to take my cases since I only had 3 today meaning I could stay." I placed my phone away and began watching the baby's vitals. Lia and I stayed sitting in the same spot for hours each of us taking turns watching her while the other slept. Neither of us dared to leave, we just stayed the night.