Chapter 75: Highway

The rain fell outside the hospital. Raindrops fell slowly from the window as Cecilia looked at them fall slowly from the patient's window, while Hamilton presented the case. Cristina had assigned this patient all for her to handle along with Hamilton who became a resident at Grey-Sloan to learn from Lia. Since she was still a resident herself they both relied on Cristina. Cristina sees the potential in Hamilton and allows Cecilia to teach her things she's learned from Carter Fields. The three of them of them looked at the couple staring down at the newborn baby connected to a life support just to breathe. The baby was born with a heart defect and they had to operate immediately. Lia was the head surgeon on this case with Hamilton assisting, while Cristina observed. Lia had a plan of action and knew exactly what to do. Even though the sky was gloomy, she felt optimistic that this baby would be better in a few hours. After presenting the case, they all separated to their own way to prepare for the surgery.

After presenting, she went to the tunnels to call Andrew. After waiting a few moments, he answered and said "Hey sweetheart!" She smiled and said "Hey love, how are you?" Andrew nodded and said "Good and you?" Lia said "Tired, but great. When's your shift?" Andrew sighed and said "In an hour, I just finished showering and now I'm going to eat that delicious breakfast you left for me in the microwave." Lia laughed and said "You better enjoy it...." Andrew said "Oh I will....." They both laughed and Andrew asked "What patient are you seeing today?" Lia sighed and said "A newborn baby with a heart defect." Andrew sighed and said "Oh god.... I hope everything goes well...." Lia smiled and said "Thanks Andy..." Andrew said "No problem babe...." A pager disrupted their conversation and Lia said "It's mine.... I'll see you later...." Andrew nodded and Lia ended the call. After she ended the call, she left to make her way to the surgery.

The patient was prepped and put to sleep. Cristina, Hamilton and Bokhee were waiting for her. She arrived and was gowned up. She walked up to the patient and looked at both Cristina and Hamilton, while Lia said "Scalpel." Bokhee passed her the scalpel and she began the surgery. Hamilton was assisting Lia in the surgery, which was going incredibly well. Cristina was observing the handy work impressed by the precision especially in a newborn baby. Lia finished the surgery perfectly and she said "We're done... Hamilton you can start closing...." When Lia and Cristina were ready to walk away, the newborn baby's heart rate began dropping. She was tachycardic and her levels were dropping. Lia and Cristina immediately tried to see if there was a bleed, but there wasn't any. Cristina immediately said "Theres no bleed and the stitch is perfect!" Lia looked and said "No allergic reaction to the suture." The baby flatlined and Lia looked at the time saying "Time of death 15:32." Hamilton looked distraught and Lia said "Hamilton please go...." Hamilton looked at Lia and Cristina before leaving. Cristina stayed with Lia as she began to close up the newborn baby. Cristina looked at her and said "You did everything right, her heart could not take it Ceci...." Lia nodded and said "I know I just wished that she would have survived." Cristina nodded and said "Life is weird.. Do you want me to?" Lia shook her head and said "I'll talk to them..." Lia had finished closing her up and preparing her to be seen by her parents, while Cristina nodded and said "I'll get her to the morgue then..." Lia nodded and left the OR after taking off her scrub gown.

After she scrubbed out, she headed to the waiting room. There she saw the parents sitting worriedly waiting to hear news about their newborn. When she was seen by them, they immediately headed towards her hoping to hear news. Lia looked at them and the mother asked "How's my baby! Is she alright?" Lia saw as the father held his wife's hand as she began saying "We were able to repair the defect.... Unfortunately, your daughter's heart could not take it and she passed away in the surgery after the repair...." She saw as their faces shattered and how the wife clinged to her husband as she began to cry. The husband wrapped his arms around her and Lia said " I am so sorry for your loss." Deciding to give them space, Lia left the alone. Not wanting to be in the hospital any longer she decided to change and leave since her shift had ended.

After she changed, she headed outside. The water poured heavy and she immediately began running towards her car. When she got into her car, she immediately began the drive back home. Lia decided to take the highway since it would be a much quicker way home. There was a lot of traffic and Lia was in the last lane to the right. The air in the car flowed greatly. The traffic didn't move, it was stuck. Lia began to look at her rainy surrounding until her eyes landed on a box in the side of the road more in front. The box was moving like there was something inside. Lia immediately turned on the indicator and got onto the side of the road. After she parked, she grabbed her umbrella and got out of her car. She walked carefully towards the box. She was afraid that this could be a box full of rats or it could be a box filled with puppies abandoned. Nothing would have prepared her for what she would find when she opened it. After opening it, her eyes immediately met the shivering baby in it. Lia's eyes widened at the sight of the baby and immediately took it into her arms. She checked to see if there was a letter, but there was nothing. Lia immediately ran towards her car leaving the umbrella behind. She got inside her car and checked on the baby. She immediately placed the car in defrost so the air would be warm. The baby kept shivering and Lia could not believe who would do such a thing to this baby. Lia had always believed that if you were pregnant and did not want to raise the child you should either abort or give it up for adoption. There's a lot of options, but one of them should not be leaving the baby to die of either dehydration or hyperthermia. Lia with one arm holding the baby. She placed the indicator and began the drive back to Grey-Sloan hoping Alex or Hayes could help the baby in her arms.