(1)

[Declan's POV]

"Oh shit, that's gross", Josh grimaced, his hand covering his nose.

I absolutely agreed with my partner as I gaze down at what appeared to be the remainings of a dead body. It wouldn't even look like a human body if it didn't have those leftover torn pieces of clothes stuck on it.

The entire house was a mess. It's hard to believe that this place actually had a real human living in it because I frankly breathe drugs, smoke, beer and...piss is it? More than oxygen.

"Sweep the place guys", I instructed.

The officers walk around investigating the dead man's house.

The smell of decay, blood and booze is not something everyone is well acquainted to, but being a cop has it's perks. Well, can't exactly call it perks really, more like endurance by practice.

It's a good thing the officers of my department can actually stomach such scenes because this is down right savage animal murder.

I wouldn't judge anyone if they run out right this moment, bend over a sidewalk and start retching their dinner. I probably would be one of them, but it's a good thing I've had a few years to settle myself to this cop life.

I bend down next to the dead man and examine it the best I can to see if I find anything useful.

"I can't believe you're really bent over that thing Reeds", Josh grimaced from a distance.

"Part of the job Josh", I spoke as a matter of fact and stood up sighing. "Can't really find much though. God this man suffered a gruesome death."

"I bet he pissed off a maniac", He comments.

Then another officer comes forward and puts a white cover over the dead body.

I take a look around the living room, but mostly what I see is blood, skin shreds and broken furniture. The entire room is toppled over. Broken empty beer bottles along with dirt all over the floor.

This house hardly seemed to have seen a clean germfree day. I'm not too optimistic about finding anything useful here.

I exhale deeply. "Josh come on", I gestured him to join me.

He dropped a book he was holding on the cabinet and accompanied me outside the victim's house. Once we were out of there it felt nice to breathe fresh air.

"Let's interrogate the neighbours. See if we can find anything", I told him.

"Yeah sure, but we do this together alright? What if the animal that killed this guy comes back for me if he finds me alone around here?", Josh said seriously.

I look into his eyes without any expression. He seemed to not be joking.

"What? Just so you know I smell great and am also delicious from animal perspective!", He exclaimed.

I sigh shaking my head in disbelief. "Let's go."

We walk up to the house opposite to our victim's. I knock on the door and wait.

"Who's it?", A small boy's voice came through the closed wooden door.

"Police, open up", Josh replied.

"What do you want?", The boy's voice questioned next.

Josh looked at me before replying. "We want to talk."

"How many are you?", The child asked next.

Josh and I look at each other impatiently. This is what we have to deal with on duty a lot of times. It's bad enough one cannot be rude to children.