(38)

Vote and comment!

Waking up from his slumber the first thing Declan noticed was that he was lying on a very comfortable bed. Exhaling deeply he looked around until the familiar room registered in his brain.

The healer's wing.

Sighing, he tried to push himself up but when he felt a pull on the white sheets covering his legs and torso while doing so he looked to his side and realised Josh was sitting on a chair next to the bed with his head laid on the bed, sleeping with a calm look on his face.

Declan tried his best to not disturb the guy and also pull himself into a sitting position at the same time. He caught some movement from his peripheral vision making him look at the opposite side of the room. He was  surprised to find Alana seated on an empty bed flipping through pages of what looked like a magazine.

"So I'm alive, huh?"

Alana's head snapped upwards in Declan's direction to find the guy finally awake and smiling at her. She grinned in return, quickly getting off the bed and throwing the magazine to the bedside drawer before heading over to Declan's bed. He moved his feet to create room for her and she gratefully sat cross legged at the foot of the bed.

"Finally! I was this close to ripping that hoax of a magazine into shreds myself. Guess what? My horoscope says I'm having a great day today", Alana rolled her eyes. "To think they couldn't be more wrong."

Declan smiled. "Oh you never know. The day isn't over yet."

"So you believe in astrology now?", Alana raised an eyebrow.

"Considering what's been happening to me lately....I wouldn't mind looking into it", Declan shrugs.

Alana shook her head, slightly amused. "How are you feeling?"

"A little starved, but otherwise really good", Declan looked down at his healed palm. "I have your mother to thank for that, I guess. And you too of course, couldn't have survived if you hadn't been there."

Alana waved her hand dismissively. "I'm awesome. What's new."

Declan exhales a chuckle, his eyes moving to his side gazing at Josh. Despite being a light sleeper, if Josh managed to remain asleep, still unbothered by the two voices talking in the same space as him, then that just proves how tired he must have been.

"He wouldn't leave your side", Alana said, her eyes on Josh as well. Not even for a second."

"I believe you", Declan said warmly.

"Are you two always like that for each other? You know...caring and protective?", Alana asked. "I mean I know you're best friends. But it's rare what you two have."

Declan agreed with a nod. "Yeah...he's like my brother."

"Interesting", The corner of her lip raised a bit, eyes smiling. "He said the same thing about you to me on our drive here. You passed out in the back seat."

Declan didn't say anything in response to that. Didn't need to. Josh was always like family to him, even before his father came into his life.

"You two must have known each other for a while then huh?", Alana asked.

"A few years", Declan nods. "Not too long. Although it does feel like it."