(21)

Vote and comment!

Someone once said. "Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

Declan felt every bit of that line. Infact he understood what it truly meant for him as he stared at his own reflection on the circular mirror of his immaculate bathroom connected to his room.

His former peaceful life ended once he took his last breath as a human. Surely after dying he hasn't had the chance to experience that peace again.

Declan's mind spiraled along with the memories of his last conversation with a man who he now knew to be his father.

Father...

A word he never recognised because it wasn't a part of his personal dictionary. What a funny way to be confronted with that relationship, he thought. Just when you least expect it life drops a bomb on you and makes you suffer the blast on your own.

"Excuse me?", He demanded, caught off guard. "What did you just say?"

It was too late to take back what Micah said, not that he planned to do so. But surely acting on impulse might not have been his best decision so far. Maybe breaking the ice or setting up the tone of the conversation would have been appropriate before he let the cat out of the bag.

"You heard me. I'm your father", Elder Micah whispered.

That statement was loud and clear. Nothing ambiguous about it. Snapping out of his thoughts, Declan blinked his eyes repeatedly before leaning forward on the sink and turning on the faucet, He continuously splashed his face with water as if hoping to wipe out the last hour of his evening.

Sighing heavily he returned back to his room, wiped his face using a cloth before taking a seat on the armchair to relax his body. Next to him, the fireplace was switched on, dancing gold flames were casting the space in a warm glow. He concentrated on the fire, a slight frown etching his face.

Declan remembered being incapable of speech for a considerable amount of time after Elder Micah turned his world upside down. He was so astounded that it took all of his energy to regain control of his senses. Not for a second he anticipated their conversation to change in this direction.

"What are you even talking about? You're telling me you're my father!? Can you hear yourself?", Declan exclaimed, backing a step from the man.

"It's true, I am", Elder Micah sighed. "I understand this is hard for y- "

"You're a vampire! You were the one who told me that vampires cannot be born! They're turned from humans! That is why we're very different from other creatures. We are created while they are born! Did you forget that?", Declan yelled angrily.

Declan was furious now. Not pissed, not irritated but downright furious. The one subject everyone stayed clear of in school, at work and at the orphanage was brought up in just got poked at the most unexpected moment. Even Josh wouldn't touch this topic with a teen feet pole unless Declan was interested to talk himself.

"Let me explain and you'll know!", Elder Micah insisted.

Thus began the explanation. Elder Micah told him everything. He started with how Sabrina had her doubts which led her to explore her theories in order to land a plausible conclusion.

The test Sabrina had Quintin do which drastically leveled the possibilities and also the failure of the potion Declan consumed as a human. Everything ended up being connected to the prophecy. How could it not be?

"No you're lying!", Declan grit.

Why would I do that?!", Elder Micah retorted.

"You're kidding me right? Her? You believed her!?", Declan was in disbelief after knowing Elder Sabrina started this charade. "She is nothing but a lying fraud who thinks she knows everything! I was always suspicious of her and you never believed me! This is just another one of her bullshit plans to get into my head!"