(7)

The dead silence in the room is really something that can make even the strongest men nervous. The tension in the air that followed the simple straightforward question by Elder Micah could be cut sharp with a knife.

Declan, who wasn't too fond of the alpha wolf since the second they met also felt a pinch worth of pity for the man sensing he's in trouble.

Though his attention was still on the fact that this stranger he was just introduced to is not any authority figure. He was the king of vampires. Now that's something you don't hear everyday.

Declan didn't have much time to linger in his thoughts when Raven intervenes to answer the elder on behalf of her alpha.

"There were a few complications that arose after the rouge's recent attack."

"Is that so? And what might they be Raven?", Elder Micah questioned.

Trent intervened quickly not wishing his beta to be the vent of the expected reaction by an elder. She won't be able to handle it if Elder Micah gets angry.

"Raven let me talk", Trent raised his hand to stop her with a stern look. The beta nods slowly with concern on her face.

"Elder Micah, this human witnessed his partner get attacked by the rogue. He saw some very distrubing things last night regarding our vampire and he had many questions."

"We tried, but we couldn't get him to cooperate with us without sating some of his curiosity. Frankly I was afraid he might lose his mind", Trent began with an explanation.

Somehow that reply didn't set well with the elder.

"Alpha Trent, I don't suppose you need a reminder of the laws of our world. The most sacred ones infact. If you expect me to believe you had no other choice but to give in to some human victim's mere curiosity, then I might be forced to think we put our trust in the wrong man by assigning you this case", Elder Micah spoke sharply with authority.

Trent's head dipped. Raven felt absolutely horrible and guilty. It was her and Chester's fault that Declan knew so much about them and now their alpha was taking the blame for it.

"I assure you the right man has been assigned for this job Elder Micah", Trent said slowly.

"I hope, for your sake, you have evidence to support that statement."

"I do. Can I speak to you in private?"

"Sure. I'd like that myself."

Trent sighs in relief and gestured for the elder to head to the room Josh had occupied earlier. The elder complied and he followed after him, but paused first looking at Raven.

"Keep an eye on him", He orders seriously sparing a glance to the human. Raven nods obediently while Declan's jaw clenched.

Trent shuts the door after him turning to face the elder.

"Why do you always corner yourself into these positions Trent? Do you enjoy baiting us into questioning your leadership?", Elder demanded.

"No sir", Trent sighs.

"You realise Rufus and I suggested your name immediately during our discussion in deciding who to send here? Way to force us to reconsider our choice."

"Trust me I realise you have a lot of faith in me. Infact I know how many there actually believe in me", Trent admitted with in a bitter tone.

Elder Micah shakes his head. "You should be glad I decided to come here myself. What if Elias was here instead of me?"

Trent swallowed a series of words that were ready to sputter out his mouth at the mention of his father. "I know what position I am putting you in by— "