(17)

[Declan's POV]

I wasn't quite certain why the two elders walking ahead of me had any reason to want to have to talk to me. Surely they didn't know about all the strange encounters I've been having so far, let alone today.

Right?

Also, the manner in which they expressed their intention to speak to me urgently wasn't casual at all. I could sense it wasn't a request, for starters. Then there's this weird vibe I always receive from the elder witch.

Once again as we pass through the doors of the council hall I try to maintain my nerves and this time wait for them to get to the point. Because there is no way I spill my own beans.

I expected them to take a seat on their honourable thrones but surprisingly they stopped walking practically in the middle of the hall, turned to look at me, which caused me to stop too, and that was right under the chandelier.

Talk about putting someone on the spotlight.

I crossed my arms across my chest and waited. Elder Micah had a neutral expression on his face which didn't give away much for me to anticipate what they had in their mind. Elder Sabrina, on the other hand, seemed like she couldn't be more happy. What's with her, anyway?

"Declan would you like to talk about what you have been experiencing lately? Something that I assure you I understand is strange", Elder Micah suggested.

I wasn't about to say anything until I know what they know or what they're referring to. "What do you mean?"

"Have you been encountering anything strange that you fail to understand yourself? Something that is not easy to describe or explain, but weird for sure?", Elder Micah questioned.

"I really don't know what you're talking about", I stated, maintaining a neutral facade.

They both share a look and I see the queen smile gently as if she was amused. It took a lot of efforts on my part to not snap at her. Her mere presence generally tests my patience for some reason. And this time I didn't like that she had a upper hand.

"Don't you trust us?", Elder Micah asked softly, in a very calm demeanor but enough to try and make someone feel fuzzy.

Oh hell no. He's actually going there?

"You really wanna know?", I grit unable to hold my tongue, or cage my mood.

This cat and mouse chase isn't my thing and I don't enjoy what they're trying to do. Why were they beating around the bush? Why not simply just get to the point? They brought me here to discuss something so just do that for god sake.

"He doesn't trust me", Elder Sabrina whispered slowly, a curious smile on her face.

"You think?", I said mockingly. "Where'd you get that idea your highness?"

"Declan", Elder Micah spoke sharply in a very serious tone making me look away, feeling a bit of his power.

"It's alright Micah. I understand where he is coming from and if we try to put ourselves in his shoes, I am not surprised he is hostile towards me", Elder Sabrina remarked. "It's folly to expect respect from someone that doesn't trust you. Right?"

I didn't answer. Couldn't tell if she was being genuine or just patronizing.

Elder Micah acknowledged her and continued. "Declan we are aware of your reservations about Sabrina but I assure you that you are under a misconception."

I resist the urge to roll my eyes. What is with everyone advocating for someone I'm not fond of and then expressing their concerns about how wrong my first opinion is on them?