(28)

Vote and comment!

Expectedly, the elders were blown away by the shocking news that followed Declan and Josh's arrival. While they were hoping for some update on how their 'chosen one' is planning to stop the prophecy from happening, this wasn't a possibility that occured to them even in their wildest dreams.

They let Declan explain everything that needed to know on their not-so-long journey to the northern mountains with much appreciated silence. But even when Declan was finished they remained too quiet.

Baffled, mostly.

"Let me get this straight", Elder Rufus cleared his throat, visibly shaken for the first time in his long life spoke to the pair. "The children of the phoenix have returned?"

"Yep", Josh nods.

"As in resurrected back after a thousand years ago?", Elder Rufus questioned.

"Yep", Josh nods again.

"Because of Declan?", Elder Rufus questioned, his eyes still slightly wide.

"That's what he said. Yeah", Josh frowned gesturing at his friend, wondering why the repeat of the same news.

Elders opted for silence again. Any other day the reaction would itself seem comical but Declan could understand where they're coming from. He was somewhere in that zone a day ago. So that's why he patiently remained standing surrounded by the lengthy walls of the throne room.

After a long pause of contemplation, Elder Elias regained the ability to speak. "Am I the only clueless one around here who knew absolutely nothing about the existence of the children of the phoenix emperor?", He spoke, directing his gaze to his fellow rulers.

Declan eyes swept past them all one by one and it slowly became evidently obvious that Alpha Prime wasn't the only one left in the dark. It seems like no living soul, except Dominic—the chief, had the knowledge about their once existence.

"Why wouldn't Dominic inform me about this? He kept this significant piece information a secret for so many centuries", Elder Rufus sounded offended.

"I guess he chose to keep it a secret for the same reason we never allowed anyone know about the sword or the prophecy", Elder Micah stated the possibility.

"But Micah— ", Elder Rufus tried to continue to speak his confusion and slight hurt over this issue.

"It wasn't personal, I'm sure Rufus. Despite being better than us in terms of age and experience Dominic's always paid respect to our status and forgone his natural advantage of seniority", Elder Micah interrupted to explain. "We know the man, which means he was going his job."

Elder Rufus sighed relaxing behind on his throne not fully cured of the hurt and offense he felt for keeping kept away from the facts, but seemingly a bit understanding of the situation.

"Wow", Elder Sabrina whispered gently, breaking her silence. "I guess we have got to start bracing ourselves against these new reveals. The unexpected is bound to hit us more from now onwards."

"You are right", Elder Elias seconded while massaging his forehead.

Later, the elders voiced their curiousity about the royal twins regarding their behaviours and personality. It's only fair to be that  curious and eager to find out more about these new beings they know nothing about.

Declan with an understanding patience filled them in on everything he observed about the twins. One being sassy and bold, while the other one's tad bit shy and quiet. Their distinct descriptions only intrigued the elders further. But at the end it was satisfying to get some questions answered.