(37)

Vote and comment!

Reluctantly, Josh shook Declan awake as they reached the mystic city. He hated disturbing Declan in this peaceful state essentially because it seemed like the man was truly relaxed only when he was sleeping.

Declan winced, supporting his hand to his chest as he sat up straight in the back seat. Now that he was awake, once again he was struggling with his throbbing hand. He almost fussed about it.

"We're here!", Alana announced loudly, parking the car right outside the citadel gates.

"You drive fast", Declan complimented her, as the three exited the car.

"Not like I had a choice. Come on, let's find my mother", Alana sighed, helping Josh with their bags and gesturing to Declan to go ahead.

Once inside, it wasn't long before they found Vincent, the elders assistant. The man was walking towards them from the opposite direction when he caught sight of the three hurrying towards him and he paused in shock.

"Alana?", Vincent's eyes went slightly wide.

"I'm sorry, no time to exchange pleasantries. Where's my mother, Vince?", Alana asked hurriedly.

"Uh-", Vincent was caught off guard, blinking in surprise. "-in the council hall."

"Okay", Alana nods, gesturing at the other two to move.

But just as they take a step forward they're stopped by Vincent's hand in front of them. "Don't even think about it", He said, expressions turned serious.

"Why?", Alana practically snapped.

"Council meeting", Vincent said. "It's about to commence any moment now and I have clear instructions from elders to entertain no interruptions from anyone. Whatever you need with the queen will have to wait", He informed.

"Great", Alana muttered under her breath. "I'm sorry, but we need to get in there now and see my mother Vincent. This is important", She insisted.

Vincent shook his head. "So is this meeting. I have orders-"

"The meeting hasn't even begun yet, right? Which means I'm not interrupting!", Alana fake smiled.

Vincent sent her a displeased look. "I have orders, smartass."

"Do I look like I care?", Alana snapped, shocking the men. "I'm only asking for permission as a courtesy. If you don't allow us to open those doors yourself then I will."

Vincent opened his mouth to argue, but Josh cut him off.

"We don't have time to argue. Please this is serious man!", Josh gestured at Declan's hand.

Vincent looked at Josh before his eyes fell on Declan's bandaged hand. He frowned, not sure what he was seeing. Either way, he wasn't given any time to react because Alana was already off to head to the council hall.

Declan and Josh wordlessly followed after her with Vincent relentlessly trying and failing to stop them. Once they reached the hall, Alana impatiently pushed open the double doors and walked in first followed by the three men.

As anticipated, the entire council team was present inside the hall. And since the group wasn't expecting anyone besides the elders, everyone was visibly surprised when they turned to find them.

When Declan's eyes swept across the high podium realised the elders hadn't arrived yet his shoulders frustratedly sagged a little. He glanced down at his hand that was already starting to feel uncomfortable.

"Where the heck is my dearest mother?", Alana grit her teeth, looking more on edge than Declan himself.

"Great! Thank the almighty the elders haven't arrived yet! Now can you leave before I get fired?", Vincent practically pleaded with them.