(16)

When a man who's worked everyday tirelessly for years is forced into time out, or in Declan's case- loss of job due to inhumanity, he realises there's something big missing in his life. So since Declan didn't have much to do, now that he's out of work, he started considering the idea of finding an appropriate enough job for him in order to get back a portion of his old life.

He infact discussed the idea with Lena and asked her if there were any jobs he can apply to around here in the city. Might as well start earning money to take care of himself.

"Sure. You can go into the city and see if there are any job openings available for you to apply to. I'm sure there must be someone out there who could use your help", Lena answered.

Declan sighed nodding. That he could do. But he didn't know his way around the city yet and could definitely use a tour guide. Lena offered to assist since she needed to buy some stuff for herself anyway.

So the next morning Declan informed Elder Micah of his purpose of visit to the city before leaving. Surprisingly the elder responded in a very cheerful manner hearing about Declan wanting to explore. Maybe he was glad that Declan was finding new things to do, putting himself out there, accepting this life.

The first place Lena brought Declan to was a market area. There were lines of small shops on both sides of the streets. They were filled with people who were either customers or shopkeepers.

"I just need a few things here. Then we'll go to the main streets to look for jobs for you", Lena assured.

Declan agreed and followed Lena around like a lost puppy as she marched from one store to the other shopping for some items on her list. As he did he explored the new place with interest. These markets reminded him much of his own home town.

It took them almost an hour but once they were finished with Lena's shopping they decided to stop by a cafe and energize.

"What will you have? I'm ordering my favourite chocolate frosted donuts with sprinkles", Lena grinned excitedly.

Declan smiled a bit. "I am not so eager to have any solid food. I don't think I can anymore."

"You should be able to. They make special ones with different ingredients for vampires too", Lena grinned.

"Seriously?", Declan was surprised.

"Yes. Two decades ago you probably wouldn't find this kind of stuff. But our people have come too far where they experiment with different recipes that favour all creatures", Lena shrugged.

"Okay let's try one then", Declan scanned the menu before ordering. "I'll have the blood drip donut."

Lena laughed at Declan's astonished face when he heard himself say the name. Never had he come across such food item.

After spending some time eating they travel to the main streets as decided to look for an appropriate job for Declan.

"Are you interested in becoming a florist?", Lena asked curiously staring at a flower shop.

Declan gave her a look.

"Nevermind", Lena sighs deeply.

They explored a few more places before finally stopping at a book shop. It didn't have a sign for any job openings but Declan found the architecture of the shop very intriguing. It had a vintage look to it. Since Lena confessed she hadn't been here before they both decided to explore it.

The book shop was empty as they enter it. Empty as in really empty. No customer or owner in sight.

"Hello?", Lena called out looking around.