(31)

Unedited
Vote and comment!

Everybody held on to their breath as they watched the two men of unlike predatory species circle each other within the heart of the circle created by the pack. Both of them had a very focused look on their face, eyes sharply assessing the opponent.

In most people's opinion, this didn't stand to be an even fight. Obviously Keon had the upper hand here. On top of being a werewolf and alpha, he was competing against a young vampire with no warrior training whatsoever.

But Declan had an advantage no body else knew about. He was, just as Keon earlier mentioned about Cora, a high born; an elder's heir. It's common knowledge that high borns have a unique kind of strength in their blood, thanks to their parents.

But even then he didn't possess the kind of training that warriors and alphas get at an early age. Keon does. Fighting style do make a lot of difference.

Declan wasn't a rookie though. He was a fine boxer as a human. And  that knowledge combined with his supernatural strength could work in his favour, provided, he uses them smartly.

Excited whispers spread across the crowd. It wasn't a stretch to assume that except Trent, Cora, Lena, Chester and Raven, no one was betting on Declan. There were also a few pack members that didn't cheer for either one of the two, just stood there looking eager to watch something new.

When neither one attacks first, Keon decided to shift into his wolf. Declan quickly takes a step back as a huge grey furred werewolf lands on all fours a couple feet away from him barring his canines threateningly.

"Be careful Dec!", Lena couldn't help but yell in concern.

She considered using her powers to help if something went sideways, but the problem with that was that she cannot manifest them as per her will, they happen when they happen. Nevertheless she trusted Cora and Trent to intervene, if needed.

Keon's wolf jumped in the air not giving his opponent a chance to intercept his attack. Declan deflected the attack at the last second, but not before he felt a strong blow on his right shoulder which pushed him back a few steps and almost made him lose his balance.

"Steady", Trent whispered mostly to himself. His eyes on Declan.

For the next couple minutes that's all Declan managed to do. He kept dodging and defending himself while Keon attempted to land as many attacks as he could. But Declan's advantage of speed was making it difficult to make contact let alone attack Declan which just increased Keon's anger.

A threatening growl escaped Keon as he realised that Declan was toying with him, probably planning to tire him away in this manner. Declan didn't deter hearing the powerful growl unlike a few pack members who actually flinched which literally everyone noticed.

Usually an alpha's growl makes even the strongest shudder which is why Zane's shocked, but questioning eyes moved to meet Trent's who himself remained a bit surprised. He shook his head once letting his friend know he didn't understand it himself.

High borns are higher ranked beings. Except Elder Elias no one knew that about Declan.

Declan did a swift body turn to land a kick on the furry face of the wolf with much implied force. The impact of his foot with Keon's face itself was so high-powered that the alpha wolf was thrown to the other direction landing on the dusty ground after slamming against the tree.

The cheering ceased immediately. The crowd became extremely silent. Too silent. Everyone's eyes went from Declan to Keon, and then back to Declan.

Keon's ego had taken a bigger hit than his body.