(18)

Vote and comment!

The elder's assistant paid Declan an early visit the next morning to notify  him about a meeting the elders had graciously arranged with him in the  afternoon. Vincent somehow managed to emphasize the concept of punctuality atleast three times in their five minute conversation as if convinced the guy will be late otherwise.

Fortunately Declan didn't disappoint. Infact he reported to the council hall, where the meeting was scheduled to take place, a little before the notified time which didn't go unappreciated. The elders arrived a few minutes after he did.

Both Declan and Vincent bow their heads in unison before the elders in respect after they arrive and occupy their respective prestigious thrones.

Surprisingly, Vincent exited the hall wordlessly after that indicating his job was done here. If asked, no one would remember a time they had known the man to be absent from any meetings that went around the place which led Declan to wonder if Vincent was even aware of the whole prophecy deal considering he's the closest confidant of the elders.

Nevertheless Declan's main focus were the four rulers since he was eager to get some answers to his questions. He swore to himself that no matter what he will not leave until he has all the facts this time.

Although even before the meeting commenced he noticed Elder Micah seemed distracted. The man didn't even meet Declan's eyes since after he walked in. Typically he'd greet Declan and consciously put an effort for small conversation.

"There is a lot to discuss with you today, young man. I hope you are up for it", Elder Rufus spoke first.

"It would not be an exaggeration to predict that your life could most probably take an unexpected turn after this meeting", Elder Elias muttered, but was easily heard.

Declan wondered if this was some poor attempt to rattle him on their part. He was quite familiar with these tactics being a former police officer.

Nevertheless, those odd attempts didn't ruffle his feathers. According to him, his life had already changed drastically in a very short period of time. So now he was almost absolutely sure nothing more crazy could happen.

Or maybe he spoke too soon.

"We shared the ancient prophecy with you last time. Let us get into the details of it first before we talk about anything else. Everyone agree with me?", Elder Sabrina decided, the other elders nod in agreement,.

Declan frowned. "The prophecy? I'm sorry, but I thought you were going to tell me something about my weird encounters. About why I'm having them."

"We will get to that. All of it is connected to each other", Elder Sabrina answered with a small smile. "It will be easier if we discuss the ancient prophecy first."

"Alright", Declan was confused as to why, but decided to go with it.

"So—", Elder Sabrina began. "We don't absolutely know what will cause the end of our world as the prophecy doesn't mention anything regarding that. But we do know we need to stop it."

Declan remembered how she and Elder Micah believed the phoenix could save them, but he on the other hand still couldn't imagine how that could happen.

The mighty bird surely needs to be alive for that—he guessed.

"And like I said yesterday, it will be the phoenix who will ultimately help us escape the dangerous prophecy", She declared. "Undoubtedly in order for that to happen we need to bring him back to life."