[chapter one] silence. silence. silence.

✧∘* ˚.

Aires pov...

It had been thirty days and someone still had yet to find me, to track me down and realise what a stupid mistake going to Mexico was.

Sometimes I daydreamed about what was going on in Beacon Hills, if any of my old friends thought about me, if they knew that I went missing. Sometimes I wondered how much longer it would be until someone came for me, until someone realised I was gone.

Sometimes I wondered about death, about my own. A few months ago I was barely escaping it, I always managed to be just on the very edge but never quite close enough. Some days I hoped for my death, for something quick to take me out.

Being held hostage by the Calaveras was nowhere as near as bad as being in Eichen House, however, I still fantasised about death at times- just like I did when I was stuck there

I had tried to escape, multiple times. I had tried to channel my magic, my strength, but stuck in an empty room, everything was useless. The Calavera's were hunters for crying out loud, of course they would have advanced chambers that shut out my magic. They had chains that cocooned my body, stopping the magic from flowing out of me. I was useless

It had been almost thirty days since I last spoke, since I last opened my mouth to let out a shriek, gasp or scream. It had been so long since I opened my mouth and some type of sound had came out of it.

Sometimes I wondered if I was even alive.

✧∘* ˚.

A month and three days earlier...

February in France was dull and boring. But then again, Aires didn't know if she could blame France for those feelings because everything seemed depressing to her. The cool weather was a pain in the ass, as if she wasn't already cold all the time, the weather chilled her down to the bone. The colourful scarfs made her feel sick, the small chatter that filtered in the air only made the ache worse. And Aires couldn't help but frown as she strolled down the side walk alongside Isaac.

"Ree?" The boy whispered in a shaky breath, a small sad smile on his lips.

"Yeah?" Aires mumbled back.

"Oh nothing, I was just going on about Connor-"

"Oh." Aires sighed, but it sounded empty and wrong. "Right! Please tell me again and I promise I'll pay attention this time."

Paying attention to things was harder for the Hale, especially since that night. Nothing seemed to be functioning right for her anymore. Her therapy sessions usually ended in her being prescribed more mediation and being urged to try to get just a little more sleep, though none of it ever worked.

Because whenever Aires closed her eyes she would see Allison's cold stiff body in her arms.

"I don't know if I like Connor." Isaac mumbled with a sigh, jumping right back into conversation. "Like yeah he kissed me and it was great but- I just didn't feel..."

"A spark?" Aires answered for him, her frown twisted into a defeated smile.

"Yeah, it just, wasn't there. I don't know, it just felt, hollow..."

The Hales eyes dropped to the floor, if there was one thing she knew better than anyone it was that the hollow feeling in your chest after losing someone never disappeared. It grew over time, it would begin to ache. You would desperately try to find something to fill that hollow feeling- you would try to find someone to fill it. But in the very end, you would just find yourself even more miserable than you were before because you realised that the person who could fill that feeling was gone. And they were never coming back.