[chapter fifty nine] the aftermath

'✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

Aires pov...

"It's three in the morning, Blake." I mumbled with a roll of my eyes as I watched the boy slip into my room through my bedroom window.

"I'm here I am." He shot back as a smirk ghosted over his lips.

Every morning he snuck into my room, and every morning he sat in my room. He didn't try to get me to speak, he never tried to push me- and I appreciated it greatly. I had been on house arrest for over a week, and it had been hell. Every time I had left my room I was flooded with hundreds of never ending questions.

Though I would never say it out loud, I had begun to look forward to the early hours of the morning when Blake would slip into my room- because that was the hours he was present I could finally breathe again.

He always saved me from suffocating.

"How much sleep have you gotten?"

"Probably around fifteen minutes in the last two days." I whispered with a shrug. "What about you?"

"Barely thirty minutes." He mumbled before dropping his eyes to the floor.

We were both some kind of haunted- we were both cursed with nightmares whenever we closed our eyes.

Every time my eyes fluttered closed, I was taunted with nightmares of being chased through the woods- of being hunted. I would be chased by something I was entirely sure was actually there. And I never ran fast enough.

Something always seemed to grab me before I could get away.

"Sleep." Blake suddenly whispered, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"What?"

"Sleep." He muttered with a nod of his head. "Sleep, Aires."

I wanted to.

"I can't." I whispered. "I can't, Blake."

My eyes studied Blake as he slowly slid out of the chair, a frown on his face. Exhaling a small sigh, he walked over to my bed, glancing at it before sinking onto it beside me.

"Sleep." He mumbled in the compelling voice that told me I could trust him.

"Okay."

'✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

Aires pov...

It was happening again.

"FUCK!" I screamed as a branch brushed against my arm, slicing open my skin and making an excruciating pain ricochet through my body.

Get up.

Get up before they get you, Aires.

Quickly, I scrambled onto my feet, forcing my aching body to push aside the pain as I commanded my legs to move. There was no time, I knew that there was nothing I could do- that no matter how hard I tried it would get me.

As the familiar hand clamped over my mouth, panic shot through my body, eliciting a scream from my mouth as I desperately clawed at their skin.

Suddenly, goosebumps broke out across my skin as my entire body froze, stiffening with tension at the sound of an eerily familiar scream, one that had cursed me for months- one I would never forget.

No. No. No. No. No.

Screams ripped my throat raw as my arms helplessly flailed around. It didn't matter how much I fought, I knew nothing could save me- and yet I still tried.