[chapter sixty two] it was night when you died, my firefly

'✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

Aires pov...

I knew what the date was, what day had finally arrived. I couldn't help but stare at the calendar across the room, studying the number on the calendar as the memories flooded my mind.

It had been a year since Allisons death.

Since the worst day of my life.

And in just over a week it would be Christmas, a day I once loved but now dreaded. I had dreaded it ever since she had died- I couldn't see a point to the holiday when she wasn't alive. Christmas was Allison's favourite time of the year, and Allison was gone.

Exhaling a trembling breath, I shook my head before forcing myself to tear my eyes off of the calendar. One year had passed, and yet it never got easier. With every day that passed things seemed to get harder.

If Allison was alive, I would have never spiralled yet again, I would have kept my promise- everything would've been better. But she wasn't alive, I was and she wasn't.

And I absolutely despised the universe for it.

Slowly, I shoved another piece of burnt toast into my mouth, munching away on it as I forced myself to watch the chaos unfold in the kitchen. Chris had burned all the food, Malia and Isaac were screaming at each other.

It was pure and utter chaos, and for once- I wasn't at the centre of it.

"Ree, we need to leave, hurry up." Malia hissed with a death glare.

"No." I hummed before shoving another piece of toast into my mouth.

"Yes, get your ass up and get ready."

"I mean no as in I don't have to leave because I am not going to school today. You have a good day though sunshine."

A growl fell from Malia's lips as she furiously shook her head before directing her anger towards Isaac. "You deal with her."

With a small shake of his head, Isaac's curious eyes landed on me, studying me. A hint of a frown ghosted over his lips as he gently tilted his head to the side.

"No Isaac, I'm not having a mental breakdown." I mumbled with a snort, answering the question I knew was bubbling in his mind.

" I- I wasn't thinking-"

"Haven't you heard? I can read minds now?" I shot back sarcastically before playfully rolling my eyes.

"Aires." Chris snapped."School. Now."

"No, can't go."

"And why not?"

"I got suspended." I mumbled with a shrug, before directing my attention back onto my breakfast and shoving another piece of toast into my mouth.

"You- you what?" Isaac sputtered whilst gaping at me from the doorway.

"Are you being serious?" Malia mumbled.

"Yeah, I know. See, I punched this guy in the face and it turns out, I broke his nose. Crazy right?"

"Aires." Chris snapped in a low, icy voice, one that always brought trouble. "What happened?"

"I just told you-"

"No. This is bigger than that, there's more to the story than that. All of this- this 'trouble' started after New Orleans." It started before. "You've been different- something has been off."

"Well I was tortured, Chris." I replied through gritted teeth. "I don't think anyone is expected to come out all sunshine and rainbows afterwards."

"But you've come out with a dark aura."