[chapter thirty three] all hail the new queen

A/N: I HIGHLY RECOMMENDED LISTENING TO CASTLE BY HALSEY WHEN YOU GET TOWARDS THE END OF THE CHAPTER <3

'✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

Aires pov...

The boy with honey brown eyes had cursed my mind, I was sure of it. Hours after our encounter, when I delivered the threat, and yet my mind couldn't drift away from him. I couldn't not think about the way he looked at me, the way he held me in his arms, what his touch felt like.

It also made me want to kill him.

Not even one day later, and he had already corrupted me. Anger coursed through my veins as I threw object after object against the walls. I was supposed to be training, strengthening my magic, holding control. And yet I ended up doing the complete and total opposite.

I didn't want to think about his eyes, or anything about him for that matter. However, I couldn't help it. I never knew I could loathe, and be intrigued by someone, all at the same time and at once. It was an overwhelming sensation, and one I wanted to leave. It had no place in my mind, I had no time for distractions, no time for failure. Yet, the million dollar question still lingered in my mind.

Who the hell was he?

Forcing the thoughts of him to the side, I refocused my attention back onto the task at hand. Magic, I was supposed to be training my magic. Dropping my hands to my sides, I glanced around at the mess I had made. Glass sat scattered across the floor, whilst drops of blood trickled down my hands. I didn't even feel the pain of the injury, and yet I was leaking like a tap.

Pull yourself together, Tate.

"Okay." I whispered as I pulled my hair into a ponytail, not caring if the blood streaked it. "Show time."

Suddenly, a low clicking sound brought a hint of a frown to my face. It was subtle, yet it echoed through the room. How the hell hadn't I heard it before? Slowly, I inched my way towards the source. I wasn't sure why I was on attack, I was at The Society after all, I was home. It was safe.

My eyes narrowed in confusion as I eyed a blonde woman sitting in the corner with chains wrapped around her wrists. "Who are you?" I demanded. "What's your name?"

Instead of answering me, she blinked back at me with tears burning in her eyes. Why was it everyone's first reaction around me recently, why did so many people cry at the sight of me? Was everyone really that scared of me? Did they truly fear me that much?

"Your name?" I pushed again, though my voice had turned cold.

"F-Freya." The woman choked out in a hushed sob. "What... Is yours?"

"Tate." I said slowly whilst I observed her. "Why are you in chains, Freya?"

I wanted to know why it was she was sitting in the corner of my practice room, with tear stained cheeks and dark heavy chains clinging to her body.

"They- They don't trust me."

"Then why are you here?" I shot back.

"Ester, she wanted me here and I didn't really have a choice." She muttered as her eyes dropped onto the floor.

She had to have been new, or at least recruited just after me. I didn't know much about The Society's history, but from what I did know I couldn't help but wonder why she was so upset. She was chosen to be a part of our coven, we were going to rule.

And yet she couldn't look at me without crying.

I knew I was feared, that everyone walked around on eggshells around me. I just didn't know why. I knew the procephy, that I would rule. But, that didnt explain why everywhere I ent people cowered in terror. I hadn't killed anyone, attacked anyone.