[chapter eighty] what a cruel world

'✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

Aires pov...

Standing in front of a figure whose touch I could feel, who looked like my brother, I didn't know what to think.

A voice in my head told me to trust him, it had suddenly returned, however, there was only one- one that sounded eerily like my own. Was it my own voice? I didn't know.

I didn't know what to think of anything.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, still refusing to let go of the knife in my hand.

"I came to see you, you're in trouble." He shot back, sounding identical to my brother.

"I know."

"You can't trust anyone."

"I know."

"And you can't tell anyone I'm here."

"Why?"

"I'm in trouble- big trouble Aires. I wasn't supposed to come back here, but I had to, I had to see you. You brought me back, but we weren't supposed to run into each other. Sage warned me-"

"Sage?" My heart stopped at the mention of her name, a name I hadn't heard out loud in years.

"Yeah." Derek whispered sadly. "Sage."

"What did she say? What did she warn you with?"

Sage once warned me about the other side, about coming back from it, about what it meant. Derek didn't know shit about the other side, whatever was going to come out of his mouth was sealing his fate.

"I wasn't supposed to run into or come near you because of the repercussions it would have for me. You brought me back, you have the necklace, if I went near you it could kill me. You brought me back with magic, we now have a bounded connection, one stupidly powerful. If you brought me back and we were near each other, it could be strong enough to kill us both." His warning was like what Sage had told me, something he would only know from her.

"Why would Sage warn you about that? Did she know I would bring you back?" I snapped.

"No. But we both had hope."

Bringing someone back from the other side had consequences, serious ones that even I wouldn't mess with, not in my wildest dreams.

If I brought back Derek the night before and couldn't remember, it was because the dread doctors wanted me to, which meant I had to keep him close. I couldn't let them near him because if I brought him back whilst they were in control, it was for a reason.

"Do you trust me?" He asked.

"I don't trust anyone." I shot back without missing a beat, and a grin stretched on his lips.

"Still the same. Come on, we need to get away from this house."

'✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

Aires pov...

I was walking through the woods with Derek, knife still in hand, one because I was on edge and two because I was still losing my mind.

"Who's Blake?" Derek suddenly asked, catching me off guard as I narrowed my eyes on him. "Oh come on Aires, i'm on the other side, we can still see what goes on on this side if we want. Tell me about him."

"He's a friend." I muttered.

"What happened to you and Stiles?"

"You don't care about this shit, Derek." I snapped. "You never asked before, why now?"