[chapter thirty] the midnight masquerade ball

'✧∘* ˚.

It was almost midnight.

Aires sat on the stiff hospital bed with her head in her hands as she waited for Melissa to come back into the room. Ever since she had made it out of Eichen House, she had been in a constant state of panic. Struggling to breathe, to focus, to remain calm. Every memory or the place and her last visit had come flooding back, haunting her mind and slowly pushing her over the edge.

You're not trapped, you made it out.

Dread filled her chest as she began gently rocking herself, hugging her arms around her body. She had never spoken much about Eichen house over the past few months, she wanted nothing more than to forget the horror she had endured inside its walls.

But no matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't forget it.

"Aires?" Melissa's soft whisper broke the girl out of her trance with a flinch.

"I'm sorry- I... I'm so sorry- I didn't mean-"

"Sweetheart, it's okay." Melissa whispered whilst slowly sinking next to the girl. "It's okay to flinch, don't you dare apologise."

She didn't want to flinch, that was the problem. She didn't want to go back to being jumpy, to constantly looking over her shoulder in fear. She just wanted to feel at peace again, or as close as she had ever been to it.

She just wanted Allison back.

"Chris is on his way, until then is there anything else I can get you? Food? Water? A blanket?"

"No, but thank you." The girl whispered back, her voice void of emotion.

With a sad frown, Melissa slowly rose off of the bed. She wasn't sure how to help the Hale, Aires wasn't the same girl she used to know. Aires didn't want comfort, she wanted to be left alone. She didn't open up, she never showed a hint of emotion other than anger. She pushed people away. She wasn't the old Aires, and it hurt her to see how much the girl had changed.

So much pain, so much loss, so much suffering. And she was only sixteen...

Suddenly, the hospital room door swung open, making Aires' head shoot up in alert. In the doorframe stood the boy with honey brown eyes, bringing a small sigh from Aires lips.

Stiles. Her Stiles.

"Oh my god." She choked out before springing off of the bed and jumping into his arms.

A smile tugged onto Melissa's lips as she watched the two. It was clear from just looking at them that they weren't 'just friends' anymore. Their attempt at keeping whatever they were a secret had failed somewhere over the weeks. Their relationship had changed into something new, something more. And the scariest part was they both knew it.

Everyone was beginning to notice the chemistry between the two, how they were always so drawn to each other. Even if they didnt know all the details, their friends knew there was something special between them, something more. Melissa knew it, Lydia knew it, Isaac knew it.

Allison knew it.

Stiles and Aires weren't just friends, they were something extraordinary. Fight after fight, argument after argument, betrayal, heartbreak, rage, hate. No matter what it was that tried to tear the two apart, it didn't work. They always found their way back to each other. Because in the end, the love between them outweighed it all. Nothing could tear them apart. Not Aires' other loves, or Stiles' anger.