[chapter sixteen] the sweetest obsession

'✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

"What's wrong with you?" Derek mumbled as his eyes flickered over to the Hales.

"Nothing." She shot back with a forced smirk.

Rebekah's words had been replaying in her head, sending her into a state of overwhelming dread. Don't talk to Ester. There was something about the tone in which she said it that scared the hell out of the Hale. As if they knew something that she didn't.

"Seriously, Aires. You've been deadly quiet this whole journey."

In an attempt to fix their broken relationship, Derek had started trying to hang around the younger Hale more. Case in point, he was driving her to school.

"It's nothing." She muttered. "I just have a lot going on. PSATS are soon."

"And we both know you have nothing to worry about. Aires, you're the smartest person I've ever met, there's no point in you even being in school anymore-"

"I know, but I'm not graduating. As much as I hate school, I love my friends more. And I want to stay with them and spend as much time as I can around them before they all go off to college."

"And what are you planning to do with college?"

For years, Aires had stuck to a plan. Graduate, college, travel. With her inheritance, she didn't need to ever work again. However, there was still a lot she wanted to do. She wanted to go to Harvard. She wanted to see the world. She wanted to be at peace with herself.

But the more time moved on, the more impossible things seemed. Trouble had a way of following her.

And deep down, she knew he would never be at peace with the world to live a normal life.

"I don't know. I still want to go to Harvard and maybe study law..."

Over the years, her passion had changed. As much as she loved to write and read, she no longer wanted to pursue a career in it. Instead, she wanted to bring justice.

She wanted to fight for the people who had lost their voices.

"Law?" Derek mumbled with a hint of a smirk. "You break the law more than you follow it."

"Fuck off."

"Okay, okay. No but I think you should go for it."

"Really?"

Usually, Derek disapproved of everything she wanted to do. He saw college as pointless, and couldn't fathom why she would be interested in it. He wanted more for her, something exciting. But as time changed, so did his view.

He just wanted her to be happy.

"I think it's amazing. That you want to allow people to have a voice, that you want to fight for them. It's very you."

A small smile stretched across the girls lips. Maybe there was hope for the two. Maybe they could repair the bond they once had.

'✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

As the Hale strolled through the school with her game face on, she ran through her plan one last time. Despite Rebekahs warning, she was going to speak to Ester.

There were answers she needed, answers only Ester could provide. Ester was the closest to the original witches, she had seen them, spoken to them, grown up around them. If anyone had any information on what they created, it would be her.

For once, Aires felt put together. Stronger.

She had dealt with worse, and she knew she could get through it if she fought hard enough. She had herself, and that was enough for her.