[chapter ninety] the beginning of the end

'✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

Everybody was walking on eggshells around Aires, and it was driving her insane. Sat in her bedroom with her hands on her lap, she boredly stared out her bedroom window whilst Chris, Blake, Deaton, Klaus and Isaac discussed the problem in the kitchen and away from her ears.

"She can't hear us?" Deaton asked cautiously.

"No." Chris muttered with a shake of his head. "Mountain ash lines the walls of this house, she can't hear us."

"Okay- good, okay..."

"Deaton." Chris snapped in a trembling whisper. "What are we going to do?"

"I don't know."

Whilst running his hands through his hair, Blake shook his head slowly. "There has to be something." He shot back. "What happened the last time the violet door was open in her mind?"

Deafening silence filled the air as Blakes words echoed throughout the room. Nobody could bring themself to answer him or even acknowledge what it was he had asked, the memories of what happened years ago all replayed in their mind, paralysing them in panic.

"Well?" Blake frustratedly poked. "What happened?"

"It can't happen again." Klaus hissed through clenched teeth. "It won't bloody happen again."

"Deaton." Blake pleaded with narrowed eyes, desperately needing to know what they knew. "What happened?"

"We almost lost her for good."

"What do you mean you almost lost her for good?"

"It was a war in her own mind, and she almost lost." He muttered. "It's her against herself, it always has been. We can't do anything, Blake. The darkness inside of her has gotten out again, it's learnt from its past mistakes. It has completely separated itself from her."

"What the fuck does that mean?"

"Last time the violet door was open in her mind, the darkness tried to merge with her. She was still partly herself. This time- I... it's trying to corrupt her- to completely push aside any part of Aires."

"She's fighting herself."

"Yes, she is."

"Well why the fuck dont we just tell her so she can close the door?" Blake snapped.

"Because she can't just shove the darkness back in and close the door, it's too late-"

"We have to tell her."

"We can't-"

"Why not?"

"Because what if it puts us at a disadvantage. What if her knowing is a weakness and it gives the darkness the ammunition it needs to completely push her out-"

"Oh my fucking god." Blake hissed whilst shaking his head disgustedly. "You don't think she can win against it do you? I dont fucking believe this shit-"

"Blake-"

"She's strong, stronger than any fucking person i've ever met. She can win."

"I don't think she can this time."

"Why the fuck not?"

"Because what's happening right now, with the dread doctors, with Amalie, with Aires- it's changing everything. And even if we solve it all now, it isn't the end. The consequences for what has happened will take years to fix. I- I just don't think she will win this time. I think this is the beginning of the end."