[chapter twenty four] play with fire

'✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

Aires pov...

Breathe.

Just keep breathing, Ree.

I didn't know where Malia was or if she was getting her answers, I only prayed Peter would at least have the decency to tell her the truth. It's the least she deserved.

I had months to come to terms with the fact that Talia wasn't my mother, that I had different parents then what I grew up believing. And yet the reveal of my father was enough to send me into a spiral.

I hadn't spoken to Lila since the day before the PSATS, since the day everything went to hell. And I wasn't sure what it was inside me, maybe it was the fact that I had missed having a motherly figure, but I felt a strange loss at her presence. I didn't trust her, I never would. But she smiled at me, always listened, and looked at me as if I had made the stars. But so did someone else...

Stiles.

Two days had passed and I still hadn't spoken to him, hadn't answered any of his messages or calls and had avoided running into him. If there was one new thing I had learned it was that I would easily be able to hide from the FBI, not that I would probably ever need to. I missed Stiles, more than anything in the world. Two day without him and I was already suffocating, drowning in a spiral inside my own mind.

The world felt grey. Suddenly the stars didn't seem as bright and the sun couldn't keep me warm. But no matter how much I longed to be with him, to speak to him again, his betrayal had burnt its way through my chest, leaving a nasty scar behind. A scar that burned harder than the need to be with him.

I had been betrayed before, it was a common reoccurrence in my life. I had felt hurt many times before, but something had felt different.

It was Stiles' betrayal that had hurt the most.

Everyone knew, everyone had kept it a secret from me. They had hidden it for months.

So why was it that Stiles hiding it hurt the most?

A frustrated sigh flew past my lips as I ran my fingers through my tangled, blood stained hair. Two days and I had yet to go home, too afraid that the boy I hopelessly adored might be there. Leaves crunched under my boots as I stormed my way through the woods. Angry walking was better than therapy.

Moonlight broke through the trees, lighting up the walkway and creating a gorgeous silhouette. The soft hum of birds echoed in the air, bringing a hint of a smile to my lips. I loved locking myself away in my room and ignoring the world. But it was moments like these when I was grateful for the little beauty left on our ruined planet.

Earth truly was beautiful.

Suddenly, my whole body tensed as goosebumps broke out across my skin. My steps came to a quick halt whilst my hands shot out at my sides, ready to attack. Somebody was watching me.

Silence surrounded me, wrapped around me like a bubble. Something was not right. A pained scream left my lips as a gunshot ripped through the air, somebody had shot me, somebody hidden within the trees.

"FUCK!" I screamed through gritted teeth whilst I clutched onto my arm.

Black mist evaporated from the wound, leaving me a bloody, cursing mess. Poison. With a shake of my head, I forced myself to run further into the woods. I knew they were coming after me, I knew exactly who it was.

Assassins.

I could've taken them easily, made them all drop dead within seconds. But with the bullet in my arm, I knew I had to avoid the battle. Another bullet and I was risking the chance of dying, of turning into a heretic. And over my dead body would I let that ever happen again.