[chapter twenty] the slow spiral of aires hale

'✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

Aires pov...

"Oh my god." Stiles whispered as tears burned in his eyes.

I had told him everything. Every memory, everything Ester had told me, everything Derek had confirmed.

"Believe me, I know." I mumbled back whilst running my fingers through my hair.

After my confrontation with Derek earlier, I immediately called Stiles and begged him to pick me up. I had to tell him, I had to get it all out.

Liam was still missing and while Scott had a plan there was nothing I could do, I was expected to just sit and wait.

"Do the Mikaelsons know you know, hell, does anyone other than me know?"

"I confronted Derek about it earlier, but as for the Mikaelsons, no, they don't know that I know. Nobody does." Anger and heartbreak swirled in my chest as my eyes flickered to peer out the window, avoiding Stiles' gaze. "I don't think I can ever trust anyone ever again."

Betrayal after betrayal, lies after lies, and yet it took me years before reality finally kicked in. I couldn't trust a single soul anymore.

Sage

Peter

Derek

Talia

Everyone I loved always betrayed me.

"Do you think that's why Ester is back in town? Because she wants to recreate the society and have you in her little coven." He whispered whilst slowly tugging me onto his lap.

As my hands wrapped around the back of his neck a small sigh slipped past my lips. "I don't know." I had thought about the possibility but too many things didn't add up. "If the society was being remade we would know. And if she wanted me back in her coven she had multiple opportunities, better ones then now. She could've done it when I was consumed by dark magic, right after I left the violet door open. There were better opportunities that she could've chosen, so I don't know. I highly doubt it."

I may have been underestimating Ester and her reasoning behind her actions, however, I was sure about one thing. The society didn't exist anymore.

"Well don't you want to find out why she's back after all this time?"

It wasn't my priority but I was curious. "Of course but I can't, not at the moment. Besides the Mikaelsons are dealing with her, they are figuring it out and I have other things to worry about."

"So what are you going to do about it, nothing?" He mumbled with a frown as he tucked my hair behind my ear.

I could see the anger building behind his eyes as he desperately waited for me to change my answer, but I wouldn't. There was Kate, assassins, my memories, my mother and hundreds of other things for me to deal with. I had faith that the Mikaelsons could handle Ester so what was the point of me interfering.

"I have other things to focus on Stiles!"

"Well you still need to know-"

"I KNOW STILES! But I have over one hundred things on my mind right now, okay? The Mikaelsons can deal with Ester, I have other things to think about. Like the PSAT'S tomorrow that I've done zero prep for, the fact that there are literal assassins in town. The fact that liam has been bitten and is currently MISSING-"

"They found him."

And yet nobody had told me.

"What?" My eyebrows tugged together as my heart rapidly pounded out of my chest.