𝟸𝟿| 𝚂𝚔𝚢𝚍𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙰𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚝𝚒𝚎𝚜

『••✎••』

『••✎••』

After the news, it was a waiting game. The team couldn't really help Fitz-Simmons to find an antiserum that could help save Simmon's life. Instead, the team split up after they had walked upstairs leaving them to do their job.

Hazel walked past everyone, heading into the briefing room deciding that it would be the best room to be in as no one would go there. In silence, the blonde stepped towards the tabletop pressing a couple of buttons to pull up the feed from the lab.

"Seems like we had the same idea," Ward's deep voice rang behind her. Startled, Hazel looked away from the screen making eye contact with the agent that now stood at the doorway. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

Hazel shook her head softly taking a deep breath before speaking. "It's okay," she assured him glancing back to the screen watching as Fitz and Simmons scrambled around the lab trying another serum after the first rat had been injected and was floating inside the cage. "I feel useless and I hate it."

Ward noticed the way that Hazel's face was filled with concern and her words matched the feeling that he had once they had learned about the virus earlier.

The agent let a moment of silence pass over them as he moved to stand beside the blonde. "I wanted it to be some person, some superpowered psychopath. Someone I could hurt, someone I could...punish," Ward started, his eyes focused on the screen tightening his jaw in frustration. "That, I could do. What I can't do is protect you guys from stuff I can't even see or understand."

Hazel quietly placed her hand on his arm, trying to be as comforting as she could in the current situation. "As Coulson said, if anyone can figure this kind of stuff out is them," the blonde assured the agent glancing at the feed. "If not..." Hazel started, her voice shaking a bit as she thought about what could happen.

"We just have to be ready," Ward said looking down at the girl beside him. "For whatever happens."

Shakily the blonde nodded, the hand on his arm moving to now rest on the table. Almost instantly her fingers started picking at her rings. Noticing her nervousness the agent cleared his throat before making an attempt to distract her.

"They will figure it out," Ward started, making eye contact with Hazel who smiled a bit as she noticed what he was doing.

"Is the Grant Ward comforting someone?" The hacker asked playfully earning an eye roll from him which caused her to chuckle.

"Okay, you know what-" the agent started saying ready to protest.

"No, no. There is nothing wrong with it," Hazel said as she raised her hands in surrender. "I just thought brooding was the only type of emotion you could express."