Henderson!

Over the last month or so, Steve and I have been working together at Scoops Ahoy. In this time, we've also become best friends with our co-worker, Robin. It's really sad how often Steve flirts with the customers. It got so bad that Robin and I have been keeping count of how often it works and fails. Spoiler alert: it never works! The guy is gonna be single forever.

Despite that, Steve and I have essentially become the mothers or babysitters of the group. I'd say he's like the dad, but there's nothing manly about the way he shrieks. Either way, we're strictly platonic with a capital P.

The gang have come in a good handful of times. No one more than Lucas' sister, Erica. She loves to abuse the company policy on samples. She's annoying, but I can tell she's gonna go far in life. Jonathan has brought Will a few times. Sometimes Joyce does. They're the only ones who leave tips for us. Hopper even came in once - he was having a rough day, so I didn't make him pay - I was just glad to hear about El. Even with all the business we've been having, it's been weird not having Dustin around.

It's just another day at work. Whilst Robin is out in the front of the store working, Steve and I are hiding in the back talking about random stuff. At one point, we give up on trying to have an actual conversation and just make noises and say random words whilst pulling faces to make it seem like what we're saying is interesting.

"Potato." I continue.

"Lamp?"

"Dinosaur?"

"Purple!" Steve exclaims as he throws his hands in the air in a celebratory fashion.

"I'll be back in a minute." I say as I walk away.

I leave him for a moment because I remember that I left my hat on the table in the other room. However, when I come back, Steve is nowhere to be seen. Despite this, I can still hear him through the door. Luckily, I've learnt a drown him out at will. Suddenly, I hear my name.

"Y/N! Y/N! Y/N, Come here!" Steve shouts frantically.

"Jesus, Steve, what?" I yell as I burst through the door. "Dustin! Yay, you're back!" I cheer as I run around the counter to give him a hug. I also take his hat off and mess his hair up before giving him it back.

"How many children are you guys friends with?" Robin questions from behind the counter.

"This is my son, I don't know what you mean." I state as I throw an arm around Dustin's shoulders.

As Robin silently judges us, we make her get Henderson whatever he wants. We then leave Robin to work and take Dustin to a nearby table. He proceeds to tell us about camp. His main topic of conversation is his new girlfriend, Suzie. I feel bad, but Steve and I keep glancing at each other with doubt.

"You don't believe me, do you?" Dustin frowns.

"What? Of course we do." I lie.

"Yeah, we do. She just seems too good to be true." Steve adds.

"Hey, you want some more ice cream?" I suggest to try make things better.

"Yeah. You guys can seriously eat as much ice cream as you want for free?"

"Pretty much." Steve shrugs.

"Go bug Robin, tell her I said it's on the house."

Dustin flashes an appreciative smile and rushes over to Robin. As soon as he's gone, Steve turns to me and asks:

"So, Suzie definitely isn't real, right?"

"Totally, but we have to play along - for his sake."

Cut to the season 3 finale

I can barely process what the hell is going on as I'm rushing from one car to another. With little time, the Scoops Troop trio squeeze into the trunk. As we drive away, I can finally relax. - sort of. I'm also terrified, so I sit and hold Steve and Robin's hands. Suddenly, we hear something over our walkie-talkie.

"Suzie?"

"Holy shit, she's real." I look at Steve and laugh in disbelief before Dustin and Suzie start singing.

What the hell is happening? This might be the strangest part of the night.