New Birthday

It's always been a little tricky with El - though it's never her fault. I always feel bad for her because of her history, but I don't want to accidentally make her feel more like an outsider. She's trying to get her childhood back.

Recently, it came to my attention that none of us have any idea when her birthday is. She doesn't either. The lab wasn't really a place for celebrations like that. El has watched and tried to understand and adapt to the changes when it's someone's birthday. I usually help her figure out what to get for people. I think it's fair to say that Mike and Dustin were happiest with their gifts.

Now that we're in November, I've realised that it's coming up to the anniversary of us meeting El. I started talking to the party about giving El the birthday experience. They all thought it was a good idea - but Dustin got a bit too excited and started throwing out a million ideas at once. Although he had enthusiasm, his ideas were mostly terrible.

We went to see Hopper to get his approval and, hopefully, help. Since it was for El, he was happy to help. It was clear from that point that he was glad El has friends like us. A few days later, time is almost up as we scramble to get things ready. The main party is happening in Mike's basement - Hopper has something planned for the two of them when it's over.

"Quick, she's coming." Mike hurries us.

We all rush to hide as Will turns the light off. After nobody answers the basement door, El uses her powers to open it.

"Mike?" She calls out.

"Surprise!" We all jump up and yell as the light gets turned back on.

"Ah!" She shrieks and jumps at the sudden change.

"Happy birthday, El!" I grin.

"Yeah, happy birthday." Mike, Lucas and Will say in unison.

"Happy birthday!" Dustin cheers - I swear he's already on a sugar high.

"I don't understand." She states after looking up at the homemade happy birthday banner.

"It's your birthday." Lucas tells her.

"It is?"

"Well, we don't know for sure. But it's the anniversary of us meeting you. So, we thought that maybe today could be your birthday." I explain.

"Yeah, and we can do this every year." Dustin adds - still very excited.

"You've been there for our birthdays - we didn't want you to be left out." Mike continues.

El just stands there in shock for a minute trying to take it all in as she looks around the room. Understandably, it's a lot for her to process. As she finally looks back at me, I can't help but notice a slight shine in her eyes as if she's tearing up.

"Thank you." She smiles timidly.

"You're welcome, El." I smile back and hug her - she hesitantly hugs me back.

"Come on, we've got presents for you!" Dustin starts jumping around.

We sit El down at the table and start handing out gifts. Being the only other girl, I got her some new clothes that I think she'd enjoyed - though I wasn't sure when buying them since she isn't allowed out much. We all pitched in to get her a Walkman because she always seems happier when we're playing music. We managed to buy - and make - a few other things to hopefully make her feel more like a normal kid. However, nothing makes her face light up quite like the several boxes of eggos.

Time flies by as we dance around, play random party games and eat the birthday cake Will and Mrs Byers made. Hopper is probably gonna kill us for sending her home filled with sugar. Speak of the devil, Hopper knocks on the door as I finish teaching El how to use her new Walkman.

"Hey, kid. Have fun?"

"Yes."

"I see you're stocked up with eggos." El just nods.

"Look what Y/N got me." She proudly shows off each gift and tells him who got/made what.

"You got a good haul. It's time to go though. I rented some movies for us. Maybe we can heat up some of those eggos. Go wait in the car, I'll be there in a minute."

"Bye." El turns to us and smiles in appreciation before heading out the door. Once she's gone, Hopper speaks up.

"Thanks guys. You made her real happy - she won't forget what you did today. Have fun cleaning up." Crap, we didn't think about that part.

With El and Hopper now gone, I can say that I'm proud of us. Here's to many more birthdays for El.