Eddie's Graduation

1986 - finally Eddie's year. For the last few months I've essentially been tutoring Eddie. He's desperate to get out of that school - and now he will with friends by his side. The only important graduates this year are myself, Eddie, Robin, Chrissy, Vickie and the other Hellfire seniors - Gareth, Jeff and Donny. We all meet up about an hour before we have to be at the school.

"Look at us!" Robin cheers as she walks into the room to see all of us in our graduation gowns.

"I can't believe this is actually happening." Eddie looks at himself in the mirror in disbelief.

"You earned this, man." I grin as I appear behind him.

"I couldn't have done it without you."

"You did the work. I just gave you a little nudge." He's almost tearing up as he pulls me into a hug.

"You gonna do it?" Dustin asks him as he walks over to us.

"You know it." Eddie grins and high-fives him. I just laugh as I know exactly what they're talking about.

Dustin quickly exits the room - leaving us graduates alone. We all continue to freak out. A few minutes later, we hear shouting from downstairs telling us to come down for photos. We race down to our friends and family - though it seems more friends - and take a million pictures.

"I'm so proud of you, honey." Joyce treats me as one of her own as she approaches me.

"Thank you." I almost cry.

"Have you got your speech ready?"

"Yep. I had to run through it with Principal Higgins."

"There's the valedictorian!" Hopper bounds over to us. "How you feeling kiddo?"

"Nervous but really excited."

"You're gonna crush it. You're gonna be running this town soon enough."

"I'm sure I can think of something better than that." I chuckle.

"Whatever you do, you'll be the best at it." I give him an appreciative smile - but before I can say anything, my hat gets knocked off and my hair gets messed up.

"Gareth, you little shit!" I yell as I chase him.

Cut to just before the ceremony

After getting out of the cars, we all walk in with our arms linked. Chrissy and I are on either side of Eddie and Robin takes the place on the other side of me. We're like a werid version of the St Elmo's Fire characters. We briefly split off from our friends to sign in. Just as I finish with the register, I hear a familiar voice behind me.

"You're all grown up now."

"Apparently."

"Where'd my little partner in crime go?"

"Jesus, Steve, don't start crying already."

"I can't help it. I just love you and I'm really proud."

"I love you too, idiot." I laugh at my friend as I hug him. "Go cry on Robin."

After another minute or so of chatting, the principal interrupts us.

"I'm going to have to ask all graduates to take their seats. Y/N, a word." He turns to me as people walk away. "How are we feeling?"

"Good, just a little nervous."

"Do you remember the walkthrough?"

"Yes. You'll hand out the diplomas then introduce me. I have flashcards for the speech so it'll run smoothly." I recall.