Break Up

"Eds, can you come over?" I sniff through the phone.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah... No... I don't know..."

"I'll be right there." He hangs up - no doubt immediately rushing out of his trailer.

Breaking up with someone is always a hard time for those involved. However, for a lesbian in the 1980s, it can seem like the end of the world. I guess there's just no hope for people like me. I'm dragged out of my thoughts by a knock at the door. Still crying, I open it to see Eddie - my best friend.

"Oh, Y/N/N..." He instantly wraps his arms around me and rests his chin on the top of my head. "What happened?" He asks as he rubs my back.

He finally walks into the house and makes his way to the couch. With a sigh, I sit beside him and explain what occurred with the first break up of my life. She's the one who called it off. Things just weren't working out no matter how hard I tried. I may be a wreck now, but you'd think it'd would've happened sooner.

"What's wrong with me? Why am I crying now?"

"You just got dumped - you're allowed to be upset." He reasons.

"Yeah, but it was the right decision and it didn't seem to effect me. But just before I called you, it sort of just... Hit me." I don't know if I'm even making sense as the words escape from my lips.

"Sometimes that just happens. There's nothing wrong with you, I promise."

"How am I meant to find another girlfriend when my existence puts me in danger? The only other lesbian we know is Robin and we're friends - she'd never see me that way. I mean you can ask out any girl you want but if I ask the wrong girl I become the town pariah. It's not fair."

"Just because I can ask them doesn't mean they'll say yes. Nobody wants to date the Freak. Besides, I may be able to ask any girl but I can't ask any guys." He rushes the last part.

"What?" I look at him as he goes quiet and stares into space - face turning red. "What do you mean?" Still nothing. "Eddie?" He stays silent for a minute before letting out a sigh and fiddling with one of his rings.

"I... I like guys... And girls... Mostly guys though..." He slowly reveals his darkest secret - refusing to look at me as tears fill his eyes.

The saddened look of pain, fear and regret on his face makes my heart shatter into a million pieces. I put all my power into jumping to the other side of the couch and pinning him down in the biggest hug possible.

"Thank you for trusting me." I smile as I finally let him breathe.

"You don't see me differently now?" He looks confused as a couple of stray tears roll down his face.

"You didn't see me differently when I came out to you. Why would I see you differently? You're still the Eddie I've loved since day 1. You're always gonna be my best friend. Nothing is ever gonna change that." I reassure him.

"Promise?"

"Promise." I smile through the tears.

By this point, we're both sobbing in each other's arms. To think I was crying over a mutual break up when Eddie has been keeping this secret bottled up. Sure I have a similar secret, but at least a couple people in the group know.

"I love you so much. You have no idea how happy I am to have a friend like you." Eddie expresses his love as we lean on each other.

"Good, because you're not getting rid of me anytime soon. I love you too." We sit in a comfortable quiet for a few minutes before I speak up. "What a pair we are." We both chuckle. "By the way, I'd totally go out with you if I was the slightest bit straight."

"Yeah? You know what, I might go out with you if you were the slightest bit straight."

"That's bullshit." We both start laughing again.

"Maybe we should marry each other for the benefits." He jokes.

"Yes. If we're both single at 40, we'll marry each other. Or if you find a guy and I find a girl, you marry mine, I marry yours. We all get the benefits and it's not like people are gonna check who's living with who. What do you think?"

"Let's do it." He shakes my hand to seal the deal.

"So... You crushing on anyone?" I smirk.

"Yeah but you'll laugh."

"I swear I won't."

"Harrington." He admits.

"No way. You like Steve?"

"Kind of, yeah. I don't know. I guess he is pretty attractive."

"So I've been told by every straight girl I've ever met." I joke.

"I didn't wanna like the guy, but turns out he's actually a good dude. Let's face it, he's gonna end up with Nance. A boy can dream though."

"You wanna stay the night and get some pizza?"

"Absolutely. Can you order it now? I'm starving."

"Same. What do you want on it?"

"Uh, what about pineapple?"

"Pineapple? Are you taking the piss?" I look at him in disgust.

"I don't know. I just thought that we're kinda fruity so why not." We both immediately cringe as I pretend to vomit.

"I'm gonna pretend you didn't just say that. I take it back, you are different now." I joke with a blank stare.

"Yeah, I'm sorry. Just pepperoni is fine." I just nod with a small laugh before ordering.

Our lives have just taken an interesting turn.