Talking To The Dead

Spoilers for vol 2 ahead. Any ghost dialogue will look like this.

When I was younger, I was known only by a number. 012. Unlike El, we couldn't shorten it. And since I still don't know anything about my biological family, I came up with a new name. Y/N. Even in a room of kids with powers, I was different. I was a couple years older than everyone else for starters. Unlike the others, I can talk to the dead - channel them. To this day, I'm not sure what my full potential is.

In the lab, I always had nightmares. It was like they were haunting me - like a bad dream you can't wake up from. The gang knows I grew up with El, though they think I lost my powers before we escaped - before we met them. I told them that because I was too embarrassed to admit that I had a useless power. El is the only person who has known I still have powers the whole time. That's how we both knew that Hopper - our new dad - wasn't actually dead.

When the Byers moved, they were going to take us both. I objected, wanting to stay with the others at least for about a year because I couldn't just leave after everything that happened. It took a lot of convincing, but Joyce agreed to leave me behind as long as I get in touch at least a few times a week. Her thinking I don't have powers helped make her think I wasn't at risk - well not like El. I've been living with Dustin ever since - that became helpful when getting ready for Hellfire.

I was gonna go to see them with Mike, but so much came up that I couldn't leave stuff that long. I was sure to send gifts with him though. In truth, nothing that stopped me from going with him mattered. 001 came back and destroyed everything. We lost Max - though El somehow revived her to a comatose state. If I only had the same power as El, maybe I could've done the same for Eddie - give him a chance at survival. But it's like I told you - I have a useless power.

It's been a couple of weeks since he died. Dustin feels guilty that he couldn't find a way to save him. There was nothing we could do - that doesn't stop our survivor's guilt. Things have changed a lot in the last couple of weeks. For everyone else, Eddie is gone. However, for me, he's been talking my ears off at every opportunity.

I've never had a single person stuck with me after their death. Honestly, I'm not sure how or why Eddie has broken this pattern. Maybe I had to have known them enough when they where alive. It remains a mystery. I've tried to prevent talking to him unless I'm alone. However, he's been constantly talking to me and throwing out ideas when I'm around the others.

"No, you can't possess me to bully Steve about ignoring Dustin. He's been really busy and he does check on him so shut up." I scold Eddie.

"What?" Steve questions with great confusion as him, Robin, Nancy and Jonathan turn to stare at me.

"Hm? Nothing." I quickly reply.

"Okay..." They slowly turn around - clearly thinking I'm insane.

As they keep on walking, I turn to Eddie and shoot him a death glare. He just gives me an awkward smile. Luckily, we were about to leave.

Cut to the next day

All of us are at the cabin. I'm assuming living arrangements will be going back to how they used to be - though I'm hesitant to leave Dustin after everything. Either way, we're all here to help fix up the cabin and the surrounding area.

About 25ft from the cabin, dad and I made my own kind of castle Byers. I used to spend so much time here. I've been trying to mend it and redecorate since we got here. As per usual, Eddie is chatting to me. Since I'm far enough away from the others, I talk back.

"This is kinda cool." He nods as he looks around.

"Thanks. I've spent a lot of nights hiding out in here. A few years ago, I stayed in here for hours trying to plan a campaign with Will. We never got around to using it." I explain as I start walking towards the cabin because I left the new sign I made.