Awkward Explanation

We thought everything was over when El destroyed the demogorgon. We also thought El was gone forever. Then the mind flayer came to ruin Will's life a little more. With Hopper's cabin turned into a glorified oven, they finally freed him. Thankfully, I wasn't there when it happened. I couldn't bare to see Will in that moment - the way Jonathan described it to me sounds horrific. Plus I can't stand the heat on a good day.

Will is like a brother to me, so seeing him imprisoned by that creature was torture for us all. I still don't understand why he never told us about the visions or how he puked up a slug version of Dart. Now the Byers face a new threat - a mall is opening soon that is most likely going to Joyce's place of work out of business.

Now that things have gone back to normal, well as much as possible, we hang out like we always did. Part of me still worries about Will though. Right now, myself, Will and Dustin are hanging out in Castle Byers.

"Have you thought about expanding the castle borders?" Dustin asks Will the Wise out of the blue.

"What?"

"Yeah, it feels a little cramped in here." I add.

"Well, I've never had more than 1 person in here at the same time." Will shrugs.

"The sign says 'all friends welcome'. Maybe you should make some more space." Dustin suggests.

"We could help." I offer despite Dustin not wanting to.

"Maybe... Okay." He smiles as he accepts our help to bring more friends together.

"Good."

We quickly change topic as if nothing ever happened. Our random conversations continue for a while. Suddenly, we're interrupted by a distant shriek - someone screaming bloody murder. We share frightened and confused glances before racing out of Castle Byers. Following Will, we rush into his house.

"Mom?" He calls out as we run through the house to the kitchen. "Mom?"

"Is everything okay, Mrs Byers?" I join the frantic questioning.

"What happened?" Dustin adds.

Joyce looks as if she's just had a heart attack. She seems somewhat distracted - like she's preoccupied with a memory or something. It's like she's seen a ghost. She stays quiet for a moment as she's still stood in shock. That's when it clicks - well for me at least.

"Why the hell is there a damn demodog in my refrigerator?" She freaks out.

"Uh..." Dustin looks at me in a panic.

"I'm not telling her. This is your mess." I reference the incident and leave him to fend for himself as Joyce and Will stare at us.

"Uh... Well... You see, it's actually a funny story..." He starts giggling out of nervousness.

"Spit it out." I nudge him.

"You see, it's a huge scientific discovery. It's gonna change the world. I need to keep it refrigerated or just at a low temperature to preserve it. Steve helped me put it there - I practically had to beg him." He tries to explain his reasoning.

"Dustin, honey, I'm sorry but you can't just leave monsters from another dimension in someone else's fridge." Joyce sighs as she breaks the news.

"What am I supposed to do with it then?" He stares at the floor saddened.

"Just bury it, I guess. There's not really anything else you can do."

"But then I'll lose everything and I'll never contribute to science."

"You could put it in the cellar behind your house." Will suggests.

"No, it's not cold enough."

"There's a cryo-storage place a few miles out of Hawkins." I mention.

"If we can disguise it then they can't say no." Dustin comes back to life."

"That would be very expensive and you have to pay every month so they won't empty your space." Joyce crushes the idea. We all stand in silence for a moment until I think of something.

"I'll call Steve!" I exclaim before running to the phone and dialling the number.

"Hello?" He picks up.

"Steve, it's Y/N."

"Hey. Why are you calling me from Jonathan's phone?"

"Me and Dustin were hanging out with Will and Joyce kinda found the demodog in her fridge." I briefly explain.

"I told you guys I'm not explaining it to Mrs Byers." He recalls the moment.

"I know. Dustin already took care of that. Look, she wants him to get rid of it."

"Understandably." He interrupts me.

"We had an idea of what to do with it. Can you come pick us and it up?"

"Is it gonna cost me money?"

"......No." I lie.

"Y/N-"

"Hey, you know I don't care. This is Dustin we're talk about - so fight him about. Can you at least get us so Joyce can have some peace considering one killed her boyfriend."

"Fine." He sighs.

About half an hour later, Steve finally arrives. Joyce thanks him for taking the creature away from her. Somehow, Dustin managed to convince him to pay for cryo-storage until they can think of a better solution. I blame those pearls - he just can't say no to his favourite child. How long did he think he could get away with it though? For a smart kid, that moment displayed questionable judgement.