Learning To Drive

We drive Robin everywhere - and I mean everywhere. For a while it was just Steve. However, as we started hanging out more, we all became her designated drivers. There was one time we thought her and Eddie died because he was supposed to drive her to meet up with us and they were an hour late. Turns out he was just teaching her how to play guitar and trying to make her like metal music. There's a small select few songs she likes and, after seeing him play up close, she has a new respect for these musicians. Though I highly doubt her taste in music will really change.

Over the last couple of months we've been talking about what to do for her birthday. Don't get us wrong, we love our individual time with her when we drive her around. But she has a girlfriend now and neither of them drive. We always have to be the awkward third-wheeling chauffeurs. We knew what had to be done.

Today is Robin's 19th birthday. She still hasn't come out to her family. So, we're having her party at Steve's house. That works for a couple of reasons. One, he has a lot of space including a pool. Two, his parents are rarely there anymore. And three, everyone who is attending the party knows Robin's secret and is accepting. When Dustin found out a few months ago it blew his mind. About 30 seconds later, it clicked. Needless to say, he stopped interrogating Steve about his steadfast refusal to date Robin.

The only true adults present - by that I mean those who could be our parents - are Joyce and Hopper. Robin was only comfortable telling Joyce after finding out about Will - and because of her loving nature. Hopper just kind of appeared when it was too late for her to stop talking. We've just handed out all of the gifts - expect for one.

"This last one is from myself, Steve, Eddie and Y/N." Nancy announces.

Steve pulls out a small dark green box from his pocket and hands it over. With a smile, Robin opens the box. Inside is a key chain with a tiny blue toy car attached. She stares at it for a moment - totally puzzled.

"Thank you?" She gives us a confused look.

"Don't worry, it's better than you think." Eddie chuckles at her baffled state.

"You're starting to have a life outside of us. I mean you're with Vickie now." I start the explanation.

"We love driving you around." Nancy continues and Eddie nods in agreement. "We just thought that you would be better having more private time without us third-wheeling."

"What are you saying?"

"We're gonna teach you how to drive." Steve spells it out for her.

"Really?"

"Yeah." We all give scattered confirmation.

"We're gonna take turns teaching you. Maybe you'll find a favourite teacher. I don't know, we just wanna help." Eddie clarifies.

"And you're not worried about me destroying your cars?"

"Oh, we're terrified about that." I respond.

"We could die at any time." Nancy agrees.

"Remember the new car I got a few weeks ago?" Steve gets back on topic.

"Yeah?"

"You're gonna use the old one. And when you get your license - because we'll make it happen - you can keep it."

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" Robin launches herself at Steve - forcing him into a tight embrace. "You're my favourite group of dinguses."

Cut to the next day. Third person...

First up is Steve - it's technically still his car after all. The plan is set. First, Robin will drive up and down the isolated street by Steve's house. Basic parking, turning and reversing is all part of this stage. Once she has a grip on those skills, she must take them to the Byers house. The group picked this location because the journey involves minimal traffic. Also, having Joyce at the end to shower you with love and encouragement is sure to make Robin feel better about the situation.