'Business Trip'

After Hopper died last year, El and the Byers family moved out of Hawkins. They went all the way to California - we haven't seen them since. It took a while to adjust, but I still talk to them a lot. I feel a sisterly responsibility to make sure El is okay - I was with her when she realised that Hopper wasn't coming back. Whilst Joyce hugged Will, I hugged and comforted a grieving El.

With school finally over, Mike and I flew over to stay with them over the summer. As much as I wanted to check on El - which I did - I drifted more to Will since Mike was practically ignoring him. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who remembered his birthday. We just had a nightmare experience at the roller rink. El just can't catch a break.

"I think what you did was completely justified." I tell her as we all walk through the door - not really paying attention to anything else until I hear Jonathan speak up.

"Hi, Murray." What the hell is he doing here?

Cut to the next day

Everyone was acting strange at dinner last night. When Joyce told us about a sudden business trip, I instantly called bullshit - though I kept quiet. It's a little convenient that Murray shows up out of the blue and she suddenly has business out of state.

Since I didn't believe a word they said, I hid in the trunk of the car on the way to the airport and tailed them to their gate. Luckily, I had my wallet and money left from my birthday to get me a last minute plane ticket. I'm currently sat alone right behind them and they have no idea.

"I'm just worried about the kids. I know I shouldn't be - Jonathan will look after them. They'll be fine."

"I wouldn't be so sure of that." I speak up, making them snap their heads around. "Hate to break it to you, but Jonathan has turned into a massive stoner."

"What are you doing here?" Joyce questions with wide eyes.

"I didn't agree to babysit." Murray claims as I flip him the bird.

"Y/N, you can't be here."

"Well, it's a bit late for that. Now, given the amount of money you're carrying..." I lower my voice. "And the fact that I'm not an idiot, I know this isn't a business trip. Since you're stuck with me, you might as well tell me what's actually going on." They're speechless for a moment.

"I can't believe this." Murray mutters.

Joyce proceeds to tell me the truth with Murray cutting in every 5 seconds. I can't believe what I'm hearing.

"Hop is alive and you weren't gonna say anything? Not even to El?" I freak out.

"I didn't want to get her hopes up in case it goes wrong."

"The more people find out, the bigger the risk. You just made this a lot harder than it needs to be - so thank you for that." Murray complains but I ignore him.

"If this goes wrong, you're making those kids orphans and they wouldn't know what happened. There's no winning." I try to reason with Joyce.

The rest of the journey is as awkward as you'd think it would be. It's not exactly warm here and this Yuri guy is creeping me out. How is this guy not locked up? We've been here for so long - I couldn't be more bored.

Every time this dude talks in Russian, I hurl insults at him under my breath. Murray hears a couple of them and agrees with me - the closest we'll get to getting along. Little does he know, I actually know Russian.

I don't trust Yuri at all, so I refuse coffee. As I wander around waiting for something to happen, I overhear an incriminating phone call. When I turn around, I notice Joyce and Murray passing out. That's when I realise the coffee was drugged.