Surprise!

Today started like any other day. Normally that wouldn't bother me - even on my birthday. However, today is my 18th birthday. I haven't had a single call. Nobody at my house to sing happy birthday to me against my will. Nothing but radio silence.

I have been having the worst luck lately - I wouldn't be surprised if I'm cursed - so that probably explains it. Even my parents aren't in town - not that they'd care anyway. So, I've been slumped on the couch watching movies all morning in misery. Even though I love the movies I've had on, I'm bored out of my mind. Out of the blue, there's a knock at the door. Finally, something interesting might happen. Knowing my luck it'll just be someone trying to pull me into a pyramid scheme.

"Happy birthday!" Is what I'm met with as I open the door.

"Thank you. Congratulations. You, Jonathan Byers, are the only person to remember." I sigh as I let him in.

"Of course I remembered. I've been at every party since you were 2. Your mom even paid me to take photos a couple years ago." He makes it sound like he's a decade older than me when in reality it's only a year.

"Yeah, I know. That was the last time she gave a shit. Even Eddie - my own boyfriend - forgot." I remind him as we sit on the couch. "So, what did you get me?"

"Am I not a good enough present?" He pretends to be hurt.

"I've had you the last 16 years. I was kinda hoping for something else."

"Ouch."

"I'm kidding." We both laugh.

"I'm gonna take you for lunch and you can pick whatever you want from whatever store. Just remember that I'm not rich." He laughs nervously.

"You had me at lunch. But can I finish my movie first?" He looks at the paused screen to realise what I'm watching.

"Sixteen Candles?"

"Thought it'd be fitting considering everyone forgot my birthday."

Jonathan and I finish watching the movie before heading out. In the car, we sing along to whatever rock is on radio. We make a quick stop for burgers and milkshakes before running around stores. For a while it seems like there's nothing I want. I don't know why but nothing is jumping out at me.

"There's gotta be something."

"Apparently not. Nothing is really standing out. Also, I'm regretting that milkshake - I feel sick."

"It's your birthday. We're not leaving until we find something you want." I just roll my eyes and continue looking for another 5 or so minutes before I finally see something that slightly stands out.

"How about this?" I hold up a guitar strap with skulls and roses on it. "It's got a built in pick holder and comes with 3 matching picks. My old strap could probably use replacing and I'm forever losing picks. It's a win-win."

"If that's what you want then sure."

We look around for a little longer just to make sure there isn't anything else that intrigues me. After coming to the conclusion that there's nothing else, we go to pay.

"I gotta pee - I'll be right back." I tell him as he is about to hand the money over.

"I'll meet you at the car."

Jonathan's pov

As Y/N goes into the store's bathroom, I rush to the car. I quickly toss the bag into the trunk and grab Will's walkie talkie before racing to the driver's seat.

"Are you guys nearly done?" I contact the rest of the group.

"Almost." Dustin responds.

"How long do you need?"