Crying In The Woods

Why do I have to make a big deal out of everything? It's not even a big deal. First world problems in this situation. I should be happy but I just feel pressure. Since it first came up, and my parents have been nagging me, I can't seem to make any kind of decisions.

As the school day ends, I don't really know what to do. I stand at the front of the school and watch the students flood out to be free from this hell. I don't want to go home because I know that they'll start nagging me as soon as I walk through the door.

To buy myself some time, I make my way into the woods behind the school. As I wander through the towering trees, I stare at the ground whilst every possible thought comes to mind. It all becomes overwhelming pretty quickly and causes me to start crying. What the hell is wrong with me? God, I hate myself.

"Hey, princess." I'm startled as I look up to see Eddie sat at his dealing table with a smile plastered on his face.

"Hi." I try to fake a smile but he sees right through me.

"What's wrong?" His face turns to one of concern.

"Nothing. It's nothing." I shake my head but Eddie jumps over the table and rushes over to me.

"It's not nothing. What's wrong?" He asks as he grabs my hand runs his thumb over my knuckles.

"I'm fine, Eddie. Really, it's nothing." I give an underwhelming performance as I try to avoid the topic as I refuse to look up at him.

"I know that's not true." I still stare at the ground with tears in my eyes as I start to break down again. "Hey, hey, hey, sweetheart. Look at me, look at me." I reluctantly do so and he brings his hands to my face to wipe away the tears with his thumbs. "It's okay. You're alright." I give in and wrap my arms around him. He holds me tight yet gently at the same time as I sob into his shirt before we break away a minute or so later. "I won't make you tell me what's wrong, but at least come sit with me for a minute."

He leads me to the table and sits opposite me in his original seat. We sit in silence as I collect my thoughts. Although I'm looking down at my fidgeting fingers, I can tell that Eddie is staring at me with love and concern. Even though I'm embarrassed by the result of recent events, I should probably tell him. Maybe it'll help to talk about it.

"We did it." I mumble.

"What?" He asks and moves his head forward slightly as he's caught off guard.

"We finally sold my grandparent's house."

"Oh, really?" I had previously told him about us selling it.

"Yeah, it's gone now. My gran died about 6 years ago and my grandad is in a home. We can't afford to pay his bills or for how overpriced the home is and just for us to live, so we didn't have a choice anymore. Not like he'd be going back there anyway." Eddie reaches over and holds my hand in the middle of the table to comfort me as I continue. "You know, they're the only people who ever lived there."

"Really?" I appreciate that he is showing a genuine interest.

"Yeah. It was still being built when they got married."

"Wow, that's beautiful."

"My mom grew up in that house. It was just the 3 of them. So many memories in the house. Now it's gone." I trail off at the end.

"I'm sorry you had to sell it. How's your mom holding up?"

"She's been a mess. With that and constant pain and hospital appointments, things couldn't be much worse. We have the money in the bank from the house now. Mom wants to go on a family vacation. That's just making me more stressed."

"Why?"

"Never mind. It's embarrassing." Eddie just stares at me with a wild look in his eyes. Suddenly, he flails onto the floor to make me feel better. "Eddie!" I shriek before laughing. "Oh my god."

"Do I have stuff in my hair?" He asks with a goofy grin and he stands up and starts picking at the leaves in his hair.

"Just a little." I giggle. He just stands there and gazes at me with adoration. "What?"

"That gorgeous smile - you got your smile back."

"It's only here for you."

"I'm honored." He takes a bow before sitting down again. "Still embarrassed?"

"I mean, I never actually said what was embarrassing me."

"Well, now you have nothing to be ashamed of." I just look at him with all the love in the world. "What's on your mind, my darling?"

"Before we even had potential buyers, my mom told my brother and I to think about where to go on vacation that would work with her health issues."

"Right..."

"It's like I'm at war with myself. You'd think I'd be excited to go somewhere since it's been like 5 years since we've had any kind of vacation and because of everything that's happened. But that's also why I don't. It's pathetic really, but I can't make a damn decision. I wanna go but I don't and I keep making excuses for why I should stay. I mean, we have a dog that can't come with us. I barely go outside other than school or when we have to fight some shit from the upside down because my anxiety goes off the chart. I don't know anyone and I hate being in the same room as my brother as it is - I don't want to have to stick around him more. What am I supposed to do if I spiral again? I wouldn't have you there. Hell, what if something else happens here in Hawkins? If something puts everyone in danger, I can't just not be here to help out." I rant and almost forget to breathe whilst trying not to cry again.

"I know you don't hear this as much as you should, like not even close, but I'm so unbelievably proud of you." That alone is enough to bring tears to my eyes again. "You've had a lot on your plate - it's not your fault. You're used to having to do everything for everyone. Worrying is second nature to you."

"So, you think I should go?"

"I can't make that choice for you, love. But I would - you need a break. As much as it'd kill me to not see that pretty face for a week." I just chuckle. "And if anything happens here, at least you'll be safe."

"Can I stay with you tonight? I still need time to make a decision and I know they'll start hounding me for one as soon as I walk through the door."

"Of course. Having you there makes the place look so much better."

We hang out in our spot in the woods for a little while longer before heading to Eddie's trailer. I still don't know what I'm gonna do, but I feel a little better having talked to Eddie.