Welcome To Hellfire

It's been a long day - how is it only lunch time? To avoid the hyper basketball idiots, I brought my own food today. I get that they're excited for the championship game - and I'm happy for Lucas - but I don't want to be around those jocks. Especially Jason, I can't stand him. Thankfully, it's a sunny day. As I sit on a wall at the front of the school, I notice Mike and Dustin running around like headless chickens.

"Guys!" I call out to them. "What the hell are you doing?" They run over to me and are completely out of breath when they come to a stop. "You guys okay? Is someone trying to hurt you?"

"No, we're trying to find a sub for Lucas." Mike informs me as he catches his breath.

"Do you want to come to Hellfire in his place?" Dustin asks.

"I'd love to but I don't know how to play."

"Uh, w-we can teach you." Mike blurts out.

"Yeah, and Eddie can tell you about the campaign and what's already happened." Dustin adds.

"Isn't he like... Mean and scary?"

"What?" Mike looks at me with confusion.

"No, Eddie's great. We just need to check with him about letting you in. If you want to that is." Dustin rambles. God, they must be desperate.

"Yeah, sure."

"Awesome."

When I finish my food and grab my bag, I don't have time to think as they grab my hands and start running. The sudden movement makes me let out a shriek as I try to dodge people in the hall and into the cafeteria. When they said they had to ask Eddie, I didn't think I'd have to be there.

"Remind me to kill you guys." I say as we stop at their table.

"Eddie, this is Y/N." Dustin introduces me.

"Hi." I awkwardly give him a small wave.

"She wants to be the sub for Lucas." Mike adds as Eddie looks me up and down.

"What class do you play?" He asks.

"I, uh, I've never actually played before..." He doesn't look very impressed by their choice.

"You couldn't find anyone who actually knows what they're doing?" Eddie asks the boys with a tone of slight irritation.

"Everyone else said no." Mike tries to defend the decision.

"We thought that, maybe, you could get her up to date with the campaign and we could help her create a character." Dustin continues with a slightly higher voice than usual.

Is he scared of him? Oh, god, I have no chance. I don't think he's blinked this whole time.

"Sorry, I don't wanna waste your time." I try to salvage our dignity.

"Hang on." Eddie jumps up from his chair and stares into my soul for a moment. "Do you really want to play?" He questions, clearly wondering if I'm just trying to do the guys a favour.

"Yeah, I have for years actually. But these morons never let me join because I'm a few years older than them and their party was 'girls only'." I smile sarcastically as I glance at them and use air quotes during the last comment. "Plus I don't really have other friends - especially ones who care about D&D."

"Alright." He flashes a small smile and nods slightly. "Meet me in the woods after school."

"Why, so you can kill me?" I let out a nervous laugh.

"So I can help you." He chuckles.

I agree to his offer and quickly leave them so I can get ready for a presentation after lunch. Throughout the rest of the day, the thought of what I've agreed to occupies my mind. I don't know if I should go to the woods. I just met him and he seems a little intimidating. However, Mike, Dustin and Lucas seem to trust him. All of them apart from Lucas knows where I'd be in case anything happened. Fuck it, if they trust him, I'll go.