I'll Cover You

Spoilers for vol 2 ahead. I'm sorry in advance - I'm adapting an idea I had a couple weeks ago based on what happened... (there's gonna be 2 different endings)

"Yeah, yeah, we get it. No heroes."

It's all come down to this. I can't believe we're back here - especially after we narrowly made it out alive last time. God, I am so sick of this upside down bullshit. Each of us is part of a trio to pull this off. I'm with Eddie and Dustin - the two people I'm closest to. At least if I die I'll go out with an epic soundtrack.

During the planning stage, I revealed to the group that I grew up doing archery and that I could use it to our advantage. So, when we were getting supplies, I ended up stealing a bow, quiver and a bunch of arrows. Once we knew Eddie would be playing on the roof, I immediately found a flaw. He would be summoning the bats to us without a way to protect himself if things go south.

"I'll cover you. You're way too susceptible to attacks on your own." I instantly contributed a solution.

Now the time has come. With the others on their way to their positions, we prepare our area for maximum safety. The last thing to do is set up the amps and get Eddie ready to shred. I stand guard as they set up equipment.

"Give me a sec and I'll turn them on." Dustin states as he is about to finish with the amps. Before Eddie can say anything, I cut in.

"No, not yet. The buzzing and potential feedback could bring them over sooner than we need them to. The frequencies or something, we don't know how these things work. It's not worth the risk. So please keep them off until it's time." I ramble.

"Okay, okay." Dustin raises his hands in defence as he moves away from the amps.

"Since when are you an expert on this stuff?" Eddie stares at me with an impressed look.

"You're not the only one who can play, Munson. Got my first Les Paul when I was 10. Vintage worn cherry - she's a real beauty. If we make it out alive, we should play together sometime."

"Absolutely." He continues to look at me in amazement. "Is there anything you can't do?"

"Nope, I'm pretty amazing. Since it's bats we're getting the attention of, maybe you should be playing some Black Sabbath." I joke.

"Total Ozzy move." He clearly wishes he thought of that beforehand.

"Too late to change it now."

Suddenly, we get our signal. This is it. It's now or never. Dustin flips the switches as Eddie prepares.

"Chrissy, this is for you." He dedicates the song to our innocent late friend before he starts playing Master of Puppets by Metallica.

As Eddie plays, I grab an arrow and line it up for when the bats come. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't terrified right now - though I can't help but scream the lyrics. I take a deep breath and aim as I see them approaching. Once they get close enough I fire. I rapidly replace the arrows and manage to hit a bat every time. Suddenly, the guitar stops and both of them shout for me to run inside. I trail behind them to continue firing arrows.

"Y/N, get in!" Dustin yells.

"Hang on!" I keep taking them out before Eddie drags me into the trailer and slams the door shut. "Oh my god! Holy shit!" I exclaim as I hug them both and start jumping.

"That was... Most metal ever! Ahh!" We continue to freak out for a minute before we eventually calm down a little.

"I never want to do that again." I sigh.

We then start hearing the bats hitting the trailer - further scaring the shit out of me. They start trying to come through a vent. The guys stab at it before Eddie jams his nailed shield into it to block it off. Our celebration is short when we realise there's another vent. Eddie holds up a shield whilst Dustin and I go through the gate. Henderson goes first because he's the youngest and Steve will kill me if I let anything happen to him. Once we're both there, Eddie begins to climb but stops and goes back.