Embarrassing

Every day at Hawkins High is the same. The jocks and plastic princesses thrive whilst the freaks like me fight to survive. Without the other branded freaks, who knows where we'd be? Each day someone is riled up about something. Most of the time, it's either myself or Eddie taking the crown. That's just one of the reasons we're as close as we are. However, it's also why we clash as often as we do.

Lately, we've been dealing with what has been described as satanic panic. Our style, music and even our beloved D&D are being blamed for murders and suicides etc... Our entire livelihoods are being targeted. Of course we're all pissed off. Eddie and I are just more vocal about our frustrations than the others.

Our lunch break: the only time we can all meet up within the hellish borders of this high school. It's the only thing that brings me joy here. I may feel like total shit, but at least I have them. The group energy has been a bit different since this whole satanic panic thing started.

Now that this sacred part of the day has arrived, I sit in my regular seat across from Gareth. We chat for a few minutes before Eddie comes bounding over with a magazine in one hand and his drug-filled lunchbox in the other.

"Have you guys read this crap?" He waves the magazine at us with a tight grip.

"Can't say I have." Jeff responds as the rest of us shake our heads.

"Wait, show me it again." I contradict my actions as I recognise the cover. "Yeah, I've read it. Total bullshit." I slump back into my chair.

"Indeed it is, my friend. Indeed it is. Allow me to enlighten the rest of you with these slanderous words in this here article."

"This should be good." Gareth braces himself.

As Eddie starts reading the article in a classic dramatic dungeon master voice, I begin to zone out. I'm so tired that I could fall asleep right here. I prop my hand up and plop my chin into my palm. My face smudges a little as I give up on trying to be present. Next thing I know, I'm instinctively jumping back slightly as Eddie climbs onto the table. With the yelling underway, my attention snaps back to the mess in front of me.

"But as long as you're into band!"

"What-what are you doing?" I look up at him but he ignores me.

"Or science..."

"Eddie, sit the fuck down!" I whisper-yell.

"Or parties..."

"Dude, sit down!" I plead and grab his ankle in an attempt to get him to stop - and potentially trip him up for my amusement.

"Shush, Y/N, I'm monologuing." He scolds me as he shakes me off him and carries on with his speech.

"Really? Wouldn't have guessed." I mutter.

"Or a game where you toss balls into laundry baskets!" He continues walking as he purposefully pisses off the basketball team.

"You want something, freak?" Jason stands up.

"Here we go." I roll my eyes.

Eddie decides to answer without words. Instead, he makes a weird noise and flails his hands to his head - forming some sloppy devil horns. Knowing him, he'll be sticking his tongue out. I can't see his face, so I can only assume. Somehow, it works - making Jason retreat from the weirdness. Now I'm just stuck in a permanent face-palm with my elbow still on the table.

"It's forced conformity." He lowers his voice as he walks back up the table. "That's what's killing the kids!" He shouts as he runs and jumps off the table - scaring the people who are just trying to walk by.

"Freak!" One of them insults him with a look of disgust as they walk away.

"That's the real monster." He finally finishes the monologued rant.

"Eddie, sit down and shut up. You're embarrassing." I finally lift my head up.

"Hey, I'm acting as the voice of our people." Eddie protests as he takes his seat.

"Yeah, well, I've had a real shitty day. I'm tired and I have a headache - so, zip it!" I scold him.

"Well, I'm sorry but I'm doing what no one else will." He shrugs before realising how miserable I am. "Shannon again?"

"Her, Melissa, Jason, Sam, Tony - the lot of them."

"We're almost outta here. One more month." He reassures me.

"Yeah, so keep your big mouth shut so we don't have more problems before we do leave." I glare at him.

"No promises." He smirks as Dustin and Mike walk over to the table.

"Hey guys." I greet them as they sit beside me.

When I turn to face the younger Hellfire members, I immediately notice how sheepish they are. They struggle to get their point across as they stammer under Eddie's stare. I tell them to spit it out. They do and I hate what they say. They want us to postpone the cult of Vecna. What the hell? They didn't even think to find Lucas a sub. Could things get any worse for us?