Intentions

My name is Y/N Byers. My brother Jonathan is about a year and a half older than I am. We're thick as thieves - best friends since day one. Will is a few years younger than us, and is easily the most traumatised - not that we'd try to make a competition out of it. Our mother has had it rough for far longer than we have. With our dad being a piece of shit that ended up being out of the picture, we've had to grow up faster than is fair.

At times, it feels as if Jonathan and I are co-parenting Will. Mom has a lot to deal with, and there's only so much she can do - if we have to look after Will more than regular siblings would, then so be it. That may make it sound like we have an absent mother, but that's far from true. She's a mother figure to everyone she comes into contact with. We just want Will to have a better childhood than we did, but unusual additions to our daily lives have made that practically impossible. But we don't give up on our family, blood or not. We got that from our mom.

For a while now, we've noticed mom's efforts at finding love again. Bob was the first good guy she'd ever been with. Seeing how happy he made her and how he was able to connect with Will definitely helped to sway Jonathan and I in his favour. Bob's sacrifice haunts her - it's something none of us could ever forget. It's taken a while after that for her to get back at it. However, a new contender has arrived.

I've seen how she looks at Hopper. He has a lot of walls up. She's managed to knock a couple of them down, but there's still something caged off. At this point, we know how this cycle goes. So, it's time for us to team up for an interrogation. Thankfully, mom is busy with something in town, and Will is at Mike's, so neither of them know about this. As Jonathan and I exit his car and approach Hopper's house, I prepare to take the lead as usual with my reserved brother as backup. Stone-faced, I knock on the door as Jonathan expresses concerns considering our target. What's taking him so long to get to the door?

"What do you two want?" He grumbles when he finally opens the door.

"We need to talk to you." I keep it brief.

"Now isn't a good time." He's short with us.

"It's important." Jonathan remains persistent, causing Hopper to contemplate his next move.

"Fine, but be quick." He moves to the side to let us in.

Walking into the small living space, I take note of the scattered mess. It's not as bad as I expected, but it could still be better. We take a seat after moving a shirt and tossing it to the closest corner.

"What are your intentions with our mother?" I quiz Jim as the door clicks shut.

"Excuse me?" Hopper's agitation appears to increase as he raises an eyebrow.

"At least let him sit down first." Jonathan lightly scolds me.

"What? He said to be quick." I shrug at him before turning back to Hopper and repeating my question. "What are your intentions with our mother?"

"Well, I'm not gonna kill her if that's a concern." Hopper folds his arms as he remains standing at the door, probably eager to kick us out.

"What? No!" I can't believe he'd go there.

"Why would you put that image in our heads, man?" Jonathan freaks out.

"What are you hiding, Hopper?" I spring out of the seat and approach him. He's not off to a good start.

"You're being awfully accusatory for an uninvited teenager in my house." He glares at me.

"Yeah, that's the point." I match his energy.

"Did you do this crap with Bob?"

"Of course. But he did a much better job than you are right now. So, you might wanna work on that."