Heatwave

It is too fucking hot. I'm surprised I managed to sleep at all last night. As I wake up, the heat instantly hits me. To make matters worse, I'm practically glued to Eddie. It was too hot to sleep with clothes, so it's a sweaty mess without us having to do anything.

"Good morning, sweetheart." Eddie smiles sleepily as I manage to get out of bed.

"Is it?" I grimace - already in a bad mood.

"It'll be over soon. We'll make it a good day." He tries to convince me though he knows how bad I am with heat. "We're going to the pool with everyone, remember?"

"Yeah, I remember. I'm just not too pumped about the idea of people seeing that much skin. You guys I'm comfortable with but not a bunch of strangers."

"I'll make sure they don't look at you. You're mine, not theirs and they don't deserve to even be on the same planet as you." Eddie promises to protect me like he always does.

"So, does that mean you're gonna fight Steve and Robin when they inevitably stare at me?" I joke.

"I'll just give them a warning and go from there." He shrugs with a smile.

"Can't wait. I'm gonna take a quick shower before we go. Do me a favour and check on Max. She must be dying in this heat." I state before climbing into the shower.

"I would but I also want a shower and it'll save money and water if we shower together." He tilts his head with a cheeky grin.

"Just get in." I roll my eyes.

With both of us now in the shower, I instantly make the water cold - making Eddie jump. I don't want to get out of the shower because I'll get too hot again too fast. Unfortunately, I have to. After a few minutes, I hop out and grab a loose light blue shirt, some grey shorts and my shoes before calling my sister Nancy.

"You dying too?" Nancy asks when she recognises my voice.

"Obviously. I think I left my bathing suit at home - can you check?"

"Already did. I'll bring it, don't worry."

"Thanks, Nance." I thank her before hanging up and picking up a hoodie - grabbing Eddie's attention.

"What are you doing? We're in a heatwave. You're gonna overheat like crazy."

"Yeah, but I need pockets for chapstick and stuff. You've got pockets like bottomless pits and my pockets don't exist."

"So, use mine." My brain really is frazzled - how did I not think of that? "I'm gonna call Henderson real quick then we can go."

"Tell him to bring my sunglasses - I left them at his place yesterday." I instruct him as I walk to the door.

"You need to stop leaving things wherever you go." He chuckles as he picks up the phone.

I flip him the bird before leaving the trailer. To avoid the sun as much as I can, I run across to Max's place. As soon as I knock on the door, Max answers whilst fanning herself.

"How are you coping?" I ask.

"How do we have 3 more days of this? Oh, Lucas bought a bunch of these yesterday. I forgot to give you and Eddie a couple." Max remembers before handing me a few fans.

"I knew I liked Lucas for a reason. Come on. The quicker we get there the quicker we can cool off in the pool." I usher her back to the trailer as Eddie comes out.

"Hey, red."

"Hey, freak." Typical Max and Eddie friendship.

After some final checks, we jump into Eddie's tin can of death on wheels and start driving. Thank god we can open the windows. During the drive, I suddenly remember that none of us brought suncream. That's when Eddie announces that Henderson is bringing a factory's worth considering his mother won't let him leave without it. Gotta love her.

When we arrive, I go straight over to Nancy for my bathing suit before diverting over to Dustin for my sunglasses. I give Eddie a quick peck on the lips before going to change with the girls. Despite feeling self-conscious about others seeing me like this, we all reassure each other that it'll be fine. Max has another concern.

"If Billy starts shit I'll drown him for you."

"He's the lifeguard. How are you gonna pull that off?" Max questions my thought process.

"Simple. I'll pretend I'm drowning. When he jumps in I'll fake him out and drag him down."

"How long have you had this idea exactly?" Robin asks with a hint of concern.

"About 5 seconds." I shrug.

"You're my sister alright." Nancy mumbles.

We all wait for each other before going back out into the open. When we do, I notice a few of the guys already in the pool. Walking over to them, Billy starts shouting stuff at Max - so we just flip him off and carry on. Once in the water, I start talking to Jonathan. However, our conversation is quickly interrupted by my childish boyfriend and our adopted son Dustin.

"Cannonball!" They yell as they jump in on either side of us.

"You little shits!" I start splashing them before a whistle stops everything.

"Y/N, watch your language!" Billy yells from his tower.

"Go fuck yourself, Billy!" Our entire group flips him the bird and carries on like nothing happened.

I find myself constantly going underwater, sinking to the bottom and staying there for as long as possible for a while. Deciding to take a break from that, I swim over to Steve and Robin. Once again, my conversation is disturbed by Eddie. This time, he swims under me before resurfacing with me now on his shoulders.

"What do ya say, Harrington? How about a game of chicken?"

"You're on." He accepts with a determined look in his eyes. "Robin, get on my shoulders."

"I-" She goes to decline.

"Robin!"

She reluctantly gets onto Steve's shoulders as Jonathan prepares to ref the match. Now hand in hand with Robin, we begin the pushing and shoving. Part way through I notice her staring.

"Hey, my eyes are up here, Buckley." I smirk - making her lose her cool. She then falls in and takes Steve with her.

"Want a new teammate? I'll let you have Henderson to make you feel better." Eddie teases him with a cocky grin.

"I don't need him... But I'll have him." Steve tries not to seem defeated. "Henderson, shoulders now."

"Red! Come on, I need you." Eddie signals Max to be his teammate.

"Yeah, no."

"Hey, you're my top pick. You gotta help me take them down."

"Fine." She huffs and gets on his shoulders.

"Max! Stay away from that freak!" Billy yells at her.

"Dude, get a life!"

We roll our eyes and shake our heads before starting the next match. Eddie proves unbeatable once again. Everyone goes back to doing their own thing for a bit after that chaos. I decide to hang out by the edge of the pool and talk to the people in the chairs.

"Wait, we could've just gone to Steve's place. He has a pool."

"Honestly, I didn't even think about it."

"Neither did any of us. The heat must be kicking all our asses." Nancy reasons.

"I wish you guys still worked at Scoops." I tell them considering it's perfect weather for ice cream.

"You say that like we got fired." Steve isn't impressed.

"Well, you should've been considering how much you hid in the back or decided to babysit."

Eventually, we have no choice but to leave. Dustin invited the trailer gang and Scoops troop over to his place. Steve's car leads us there. Time to watch movies, plan campaigns and complain about the heat. Thankfully, Dustin's mom stocked up on ice lollies whilst we were at the pool.