Tattoos And Buzzed Hair

"Are you sure this is okay?" El asks as we walk into the school out of hours.

"Yeah, totally. Dustin should already be here."

"Okay."

A couple of days ago, we were all sat in Mike's basement talking about some memories. Of course D&D came up. The guys showed El their original setup and she thought it was cool. That's when I had the idea to show her how much cooler the Hellfire setup is. That's why we're at the school out of hours right now. Plus she plans to look through the books and stuff and study the monsters in case any of them appear in the future. Finally at the room, I open the door to see Eddie and Dustin at the table.

"Hey. Thought I'd find you guys in here. What you up to?" I greet them.

"Just helping Henderson tie in some backstory for a new character." Eddie explains from his thrown.

"I'm going with a grave cleric this time." Dustin beams.

"Nice. Eds, I wanna chat about my elf bard at some point before next session, if that's okay."

"Yeah, no worries. Just let me get Henderson out of the way first."

"Totally." I nod before remembering El is with me. "Oh, sorry. Eddie, this is El. El, this is Eddie."

"Hi." Eddie greets her - she gives him a small and awkward wave.

"Can we just put a pin in this for a little bit? El wanted to check out the setup - especially the book of monsters for a potential advantage later on."

"Uh, sure. We could use a break."

"Cool. Dustin, can you quickly come help me with something in chemistry? I just wanna make sure I got everything right."

"Yeah, sure."

"We won't be long." I turn to El. "Eddie is a master at this stuff. He knows everything there is to know - so ask him anything." I tell her before heading out.

Third person

As the door closes behind Y/N and Dustin, El stands awkwardly in front of it. She still hasn't said a word since she entered the room. El stares at Eddie as he gathers some books and miniatures.

"You can sit down, ya know. Don't worry, I don't bite." He chuckled softly as he glances over at her. She hesitantly approaches him and takes a seat. "You're the girl with superpowers, right? Wheeler's girlfriend?"

"I-" She looks at him with wide eyes - speechless in shock. Luckily, he picks up on it.

"Don't worry, I haven't told anyone." She sighs with relief. "That's pretty awesome though. Very metal." El gives him a small smile. Eddie starts talking about some basics as he places things on the table. Just a moment later, El interrupts him with something extremely off topic.

"Hair."

"Huh?" Eddie looks at her like a lost puppy.

"Your hair. It's really long."

"Yeah. I, uh, I've been growing it out for years. Some people think I should cut it because it's 'too long for a guy' but it's much better like this."

"I like it."

"Thanks. I like yours too. You know, my hair used to be buzzed." He tries to relate to her and make her feel comfortable.

"Really?"

"Yeah, a long time ago. I wasn't a huge fan. That's why I grew it out. Eventually, when it was longer, I started getting these tattoos." He explains and shows them to her.

"Pretty." She comments on the bats on his arm making him smile.

"I've got a buddy who does them for me. Pretty cool, huh?" El nods. "You think you'd want some when you're older?" El slowly rolls up her sleeve to reveal her number tattoo. Eddie stares in shock and concern for a moment. "You're... Just a kid. Wait, did that guy from the lab do this?"

"Papa..." She nods and pulls her sleeve back down.

"Jesus christ." Eddie mutters. "Well... In a few years - when you're old enough - you can get a cover up."

"Cover up?"

"Yeah. So, you can get a new tattoo over it. It'd have to be a little bigger than the original. Luckily, yours is only small, so it's an easy fix. It'd be like it was never there." They both smile at each other having found some unexpected similarities.

Y/N's pov

With help from Dustin, I can confirm that I have now done everything right. We go back to the room hoping that Eddie hasn't said anything to piss El off to the point of using her powers. When we enter the room again, it appears calm.

"What did we miss?" I ask.

"Nothing. Just getting to know each other." Eddie grins.

"I like him." El turns and smiles at us.

Eddie's got another sheep now I guess. Anyway... Let's get to the monsters.