Instincts

Some people would say that I'm paranoid. Those people are correct. Can you blame me? It's not just the high school snakes that are out to get me - interdimensional monsters are too. I'd say my concerns are justified. By now, you know the timeline and tale of our gripes with Vecna. I could say that our job is easy, but that would be the biggest lie I've ever told.

The adults of the Scoops Troop are going to the heart of it all to strike the bastard down. We're taking Nancy in with us because she's a frighteningly good shot with a gun, which is exactly what you need when killing a freaky looking serial killer. When we were getting supplies, I couldn't take my eyes away from Nancy as she gripped her gun in Jason's face. It was terrifying and oddly attractive. Remind me not to get on her bad side.

Having dropped off Max and the Sinclairs at the old Creel house, the rest of us arrive in the upside down. As Steve gives his speech to the Hellfire duo, I become distant to them, though ever present in my own fear. I try to pull myself back to reality so that I don't doom us even further. With Steve's statements concluded, I hug Dustin and Eddie as tight as possible, scared that it'll be the last time I get the opportunity.

"Don't do anything stupid." My parting words to the pair.

"No promises." Eddie grins like a careless fool.

"Eddie." I glare with disappointment.

"I promise." He crosses his heart as Dustin laughs.

As the remaining few of us head to the Creel counterpart, I find myself constantly looking over my shoulder at the boys we just left. The sound of Eddie's wailing guitar sparks a mixture of emotions - pride being the only positive one. He's extremely talented. When the song silences, we're left with only the gloomy ambience of this unnatural plane. It's unnerving. God, I hope the others  are okay.

We take a moment to survey the scene and plan the way forward. The hivemind vines plague this land, though the interior of this house is infested with an abundance of them. Perhaps it's because we're close to Vecna. Getting up the stairs will be a challenge without a clear path. Suddenly, the grandfather clock to my left chimes with a menacing echo, startling us and stopping us in our tracks.

"What does that mean?" Though I'm almost certain of the answer, my eyes dart between the trio with my panicked question.

"Max..." Steve's realisation is my confirmation.

Everything is crumbling, and I feel so helpless. Max was supposed to be bait - nothing more. What happened? Somehow, it's as if my heart has stopped and is racing to burst out of my chest at the same time. I have to get out of here, but I can't just go home and sleep it away. I turn back to where we began and notice the demobats getting further away from us but increasingly closer to the duo we left behind. The sight of their flight sends a bad feeling rippling through my gut. They're in more danger than anticipated, I can just tell. We should've split the groups evenly. Without a plan or rational thought, I make a declaration as my fight or flight kicks in.

"You guys have to go without me."

"What are you talking about? This is the plan we agreed on. You can't just change it!" My slightly older brother Steve freaks out.

"I need to go back to Eddie and Dustin!"

"Why?" Nancy asks, clearly irritated.

"We don't have time to argue about this! Just trust me!" I turn and make my way to the door.

"Please don't go." Robin's eyes do all her pleading.

"Y/N, if you go out there now, you'll get yourself killed!" Steve warns me with a raised voice.