Chimes & Vines

I swear we had a relatively normal life last week. Then Chrissy came over for a deal and everything went to shit. I wasn't home at the time, but when we couldn't find Eddie, I panicked. Now we're about to go back into the heart of this nightmare to put an end to it.

This is such a risk - everything is on the line. I was worried about leaving Max, but it had to be done. Now my main concern is all of us who came through the gate. I could die - we all could. I fear that once I leave my brother that I'll never seen him again. His job is fairly easy compared to what I have to do with Steve, Robin and Nancy.

"We are not heroes."

"Hey, we kill this guy and we're all heroes. Doesn't matter what the rest of Hawkins says." I correct him.

"Come on, we should go." Steve hurries me.

"Dustin, do me a favour and make sure he doesn't do anything stupid." I smirk.

"Hey, I'm older than you." Eddie defends himself.

"Only by a few minutes, dipshit." I laugh before giving him a firm hug.

"Go kick his ass."

Here we go. As we walk away from the pair, Nancy tries to convince me that everything will work out. Now hiding, I hear the familiar sound of Eddie's guitar wailing. He's been practicing so much, so I never had any doubts that he'd nail it. With the bats flying above us, that's our signal to go. After a final glance at the duo, I join Steve's side on the walk to the house. When we open the door, I can't help but comment.

"I guess he really didn't want any visitors." I reference the copious amount of vines protecting the hive mind.

"Evidently not." Robin adds as we walk into the madness. When we get to the grandfather clock, it chimes.

"Max..." Nancy realises what it means.

"We're too late." I lose hope.

"No, we can still stop him." Steve keeps walking though I can tell he's pissed and devastated.

I share quick saddened glances with the girls before catching up with Steve. In order to make it up the most disgusting flights of stairs, we have to follow his steps exactly. After the first flight, it doesn't look like it's clearing up any time soon.

Suddenly, the ground shakes as another upside down earthquake hits. I grab onto Robin for stability and to stop her falling down the stairs. When it ends, we take a moment to compose ourselves. However, that goes out of the window when I notice a vine wrapping around Robin's leg.

"Robin!" I try to warn her. As she is pinned to the wall, she accidentally drags me with her. "Shit!" Now we're both stuck to the this wall.

"Steve!"

Steve immediately swings his axe to break Robin out as Nancy tries to free me. It doesn't take long for them to get thrown against the wall opposite us. As these vines strangle the life out of me, tears spill and make my vision of Steve and Nancy blurred. With everything getting hazy, all I can think about is my brother and my uncle - they're all I've had for years. After what feels like hours of torture, we suddenly drop to the ground. Groaning in pain and gasping for air, I can't tell what's real or not.

"You okay?" Steve asks as he helps me up.

"Yeah. Yeah, I think so." I answer as I try to catch my breath. "We better fucking kill him after that."

"We will." Nancy assures me.

As we venture up the rest of the stairs, we are extra careful to prevent us from being trapped in the vines again. Following them into the room, I'm the last to see this monster. He is one ugly motherfucker. Let's end this.