High As A Kite

None of us were expecting the Byers to come back to Hawkins - especially as soon as they did. Or with Hopper. We also didn't expect Jonathan to bring a friend back with him. Argyle is... Odd to say the least. He's always high on something it seems. Nevertheless, he's a sweet guy and a good friend. He's constantly telling me to try before I deny - so I owe a lot of new experiences to him.

Since returning, Jonathan has eased up on his weed intake - though he hasn't stopped completely. I've actually joined them a few times - though very few people know about it. One of those few people is Eddie. When he first met Argyle, he was intrigued by his strangeness and the fact that both of them are involved with stuff like weed. Whenever Jonathan is working or just can't hang out, Argyle finds himself with Eddie. They became friends quicker than some would've thought.

Today is just another day that neither myself nor Jonathan could babysit our friends for a matter of hours. Fortunately, Jonathan became free from his paid responsibilities about 3 hours before me. I agreed to meet up with the trio once I get off work. After a totally average work day, I'm finally in the car. I turn the final corner into the trailer park and pull up next to Jonathan's car. Immediately, I noticed my idiot friend standing on the roof of his trailer with Argyle nowhere to be seen.

"Hey, Y/N." He sighs with relief as I get out of the car.

"Hey. What the hell is he doing?" I question as I stand by Jonathan's side.

"Oh, uh, Argyle introduced him to purple palm tree delight." He explains.

"Didn't he already do that?"

"Yeah, but not like this. I think they had way too much before I got here." He clarifies as we stare at Eddie.

"Sweet Jesus."

"You missed the best part though."

"Oh, yeah?"

"Yeah. They were having a deep conversation about each others' hair." Jonathan informs me.

"Oh, wow." I wish I could say I'm surprised.

"For 2 hours." He adds.

"2 hours?" I turn to him with wide eyes and he nods in response. "Holy shit."

"Y/N!" Eddie yells like a child happy to see me. "Yay! Her royal highness has arrived!" He throws his hands in the air as he stumbles.

"Hey, Eddie! You feeling okay?"

"Never better!" He grins, still stumbling and flailing around.

"Whatcha doing up there?"

"I have to keep watch for the dragon!"  He shouts before using his hands as binoculars. Jonathan and I share confused glance before I turn back to the crackhead in the sky.

"....What dragon?"

"That pink motherfucker with purple spots! It's like a dalmatian that can fly and breathe fire!"

"I've tried to convince him to come down but he insists it's life or death." Jonathan tells me of his defeat.

"God, Wayne is gonna kill me." I groan as I make the realisation.

"Why? He's not your uncle."

"Yeah, but I'm supposed to be the responsible one and I don't want him to see Eddie this fucked up." I reason.

"Fair enough."

Eddie continues to stumble, flail and crawl around the roof. As he does this, he won't stop talking about the dragon and bats and other random stuff in an odd voice. It's almost as if he's living his own D&D adventure. Such a weirdo. Next thing I know, the little gremlin man trips up and takes a tumble off the roof of his trailer.

"Eddie!" I yell and race over to him with Jonathan right behind me.

"I'm good!" Eddie rolls and springs up to his feet. Maybe it's the adrenaline that's preventing him from feeling pain. Or the drugs. Maybe both.

"That was awesome, man." Argyle chuckles as he appears out of nowhere. "Hey, dudette." He waves at me.

"Where the hell did you come from?" Jonathan questions his friend who was previously missing.

"California originally. However, I did just embark on a journey to the magical land of mushrooms and creatures." He rambles before raising his voice to address Eddie. "I think the dragon's sleepy right now, so we're good, brochacho."

"Cool." He starts laughing and snorting at nothing like a lunatic.

"Where do we go from here?" Jonathan questions.

"What if we send in the bard to seduce the dragon and try to fu-" Eddie starts but I quickly jump in and cut him off.

"Okay! How about we go get some food and try to sober you up before your uncle sees you?" I start ushering him to my car.

"But what if the dragon wakes up?" He protests.

"It won't, Eds."

"He could."

"No, he's super tired. He's gonna be out for a while. Let's go get some burgers so you have energy to fight him later." I try to convince him and he stops in his tracks.

"You're so smart." He smiles before burping in my face.

Eventually, I manage to get Eddie into the car and help to buckle him up. Argyle goes into Jonathan's car like anyone else would. We go to get food before Jonathan and Argyle head home. I've never seen Eddie inhale so much junk in one sitting and at such a fast pace. Not convinced that everything he consumed will wear off in time, I call Wayne and tell him that Eddie is gonna stay with me for the night. I love this idiot but we can't leave him alone with Argyle for too long. We need someone else to babysit.