Beach Day

When Dustin and Lucas invited me to the beach yesterday, I immediately shut down any possibility of me going. I mean, the sand gets everywhere and I mean everywhere. Plus the beach is always littered with annoying children - and actual trash. However, when I found out that everyone else was going for whatever reason, I changed my mind because I don't want to be the only one who doesn't go.

I have no idea who's picking me up today, but I'm willing to bet I'm the last person in the car. All I know is that there's multiple vehicles taking everyone there. Suddenly, I hear a car horn as I rush to grab my towel, camera and sunglasses. Time to find out who I'm stuck with. As soon as I leave the house, I recognise the car - already almost at capacity. Despite this, the front seat is empty. Mine for the taking.

"Hey, Harrington." I greet him as I sit next to him.

"Hey."

"Hi, Y/N." I hear from the backseat.

"Hey, guys." I turn to see Dustin, Max and Robin squashed together in the back. "Not that I'm complaining, but how come I get shotgun?"

"We know you didn't want to come, so I made them sit in the back so you're a little less miserable." Steve explains as we drive away.

"I knew I liked you for a reason." I joke.

For the rest of the journey, we make conversation - mainly talking about stuff we could do when we get there. Of course the topic of which parent got Dustin came up. Eddie didn't win, but he's got Lucas and Erica. Because I'm the one who is likely to hear Eddie complain about it, I make the suggestion that he can take Dustin and I home as long as Steve is willing to drop off the Sinclairs. Luckily, he did. Crisis averted.

When we finally make it to the beach, I instantly look around for anyone else. Whilst Steve gets his kids in line, Robin sneaks away to talk to Nancy. On the other hand, I run over to the car next to them to tell Eddie the good news.

"Eddie!"

"Hey. I still can't believe you came, L/N."

"You don't have to take them home anymore."

"Why?" They all ask.

"Steve's gonna take you guys. So-"

"So, I get Henderson?" Eddie cuts me off with excitement.

"And me since I got Steve to agree to it. You're welcome." Lucas and Erica leave to find the others as I chat to him.

"Thank god. She's so mean."

"I know. You owe me."

Now that Eddie has a pep in his step, we join everyone on the beach. I haven't even put my towel on the ground yet and I want to leave. When I finally land, I look up to see Mike, Dustin, Will and Lucas already in the sea splashing each other. El and Max are building sandcastles together - which is just the cutest thing. I don't really what's going on with everyone else as I talk to Jonathan for a little before laying down and closing my eyes. About 15 minutes later, my eyes shoot open at the sound of high-pitched screeching.

"Help! Get this thing away from me, man!" I scramble to get my camera and start filming. "Ahh! Leave me alone you stupid bird!"

Yep, you guessed it. Eddie is being chased down the shoreline by a seagull. Thank god I got my camera out in time - this is comedy gold. As he continues shrieking, I can't help but wheeze with laughter. Eventually, Eddie just gives up and throws his food as far away as he can before running back. That's what he gets for bringing snacks and not letting us have any.

I put my camera away and try to calm down as I'm sure my face is as red as a tomato. A few minutes later, Nancy and Jonathan decide to go look for somewhere nearby to get lunch for everyone. When they're gone, Robin moves her towel and sits next to me. About a minute or so later, our conversation gets interrupted by laughing as sand is thrown into my hair.

"What the fuck?" I yell without moving my head because I'm afraid the sand my get in my eyes or mouth.

"That's for filming and laughing at me." Eddie laughs as Robin helps me get as much sand out of my hair as possible.

"Oh, you're dead, dingus." Robin warns the attacker.

Knowing that she's right, Eddie starts running. I yell some sort of battle cry as I get up and chase him. He yelps as I tackle him to the ground. I quickly climb on top of him to stop him from going anywhere.

"How do you like it?" I question as I shovel sand into his hair.

"Stop! We're even! Stop it!" He pleads from under me.

"Don't make me give Dustin to Steve."

"I'm sorry, it won't happen again."

After taking a moment to revel in my victory, I slowly get off him and give him a hand to get up. To get rid of the sand, he shakes violently like a wet dog - so I jump out of the way. As we turn back to the group, we see everyone - led by Robin - burying Steve against his will. Eddie and I glance at each other with the same thought before racing each other to them to help bury him faster.

When Nancy and Jonathan come back with loads of burgers and fries, we all sit together on our towels to eat. Of course, we tell them about the best things they missed. When I joke about the seagull, Eddie just rolls his eyes - I'm definitely showing them the footage later. As time goes on, more dumb stuff happens. Eventually, it's time to go and people start going back to their designated cars. However, I look over to see El frantically digging.

"El, you good?" When I get to her, I notice she's crying and almost hyperventilating. "Hey, deep breaths. What's the problem?"

"I can't...I can't find the blue hair tie." She tells me as she tries to calm down. Normally, I'd say to leave it and get a new one, but I know how much it means to El and Hopper.

"It's okay. We won't leave until we find it, don't worry."

Since El came with Mike, Nancy, Jonathan and Will, they automatically start looking. I then force Eddie and Dustin to look too. It's been like 10 minutes and it seems like we'll never find it. However, Eddie then shouts up.

"Hey, uh, is this it?"

"El, Eddie thinks he has it!" I call her over.

"That it?" He asks as he hands it to her.

"Yes." El suddenly throws her arms around him. "Thank you." He awkwardly hugs her and pats her back like he's never hugged someone before.

"Yeah, uh, no problem, kid."

"El, we have to go! Your dad will kill us if we're late!" Nancy yells.

El says her goodbyes before rejoining them. Finally, we can all go home. On the drive to Dustin's house, Eddie is still confused about why we had to look for so long. So, I tell him the story of the blue hair tie. After dropping Henderson off, we start heading to my place. Suddenly, I get a thought.

"Hey, did anyone unbury Steve?"

"Who cares?" I pause for a moment.

"Yeah, you're right."

Cut to the woods a month later

I'm sat at the table in the woods waiting for Eddie to show up because he wanted to talk to me about joining Hellfire officially or something like that. As I reach into my pocket to get my chapstick, I also pull out something highly unwanted.

"How the fuck am I still finding sand?" I scream in frustration before hearing Eddie cackling behind me. "Fuck you."