MADMAX

This was requested by eccyuk - sorry for the wait and any inaccuracies, I haven't watched season 2 in a couple years.

Recently, Dustin recorded a new high score on the Dig Dug machine at our local arcade. He was ecstatic - said it was his proudest achievement and the best day of his life. Unfortunately for dear old Dusty, it all came crumbling down shortly after when he discovered that somebody had beaten his score.

MADMAX.

That's the name that now haunts Dustin with every waking moment. How could this person ruin what he worked so hard to gain? From the moment he saw his name in second, he vowed not to rest until he found the usurper. I don't think I've ever seen him so determined and frustrated by something so minor.

During this time frame, a new girl in our grade moved to town. She keeps to herself. Considering she moved to Hawkins, I don't blame her. She also has a skateboard, which makes her cool in my books. However, Lucas and Dustin are obsessed with her. It's as if they love her whilst being suspicious of her because of her anonymity. Infatuation and mystery. They've kinda turned into creeps.

Since the start of the MADMAX fiasco, the party has spent half their time following the new girl and the other half scoping out the arcade. Mike's been pretty bummed out since El sacrificed herself, so this lunacy gets him out of his basement for once. Naturally, Will follows them, desperate to play some D&D. Then there's me. I only tag along because I don't have any other friends.

Today is one of the days that we practically camp out in the arcade. At this point, employees know us by name. As we swap through each of the machines, Dustin continues his rants about Dig Dug - his eyes constantly darting to the machine in question just in case the mystery man turns up. I doubt he has a plan for if that happens.

"Can we please just go play D&D?" Will asks for the third time today.

"With these morons? Good luck with that." I scoff in reference to how impossible the party has been lately.

"Yeah, I know." He sighs and looks at the ground in defeat.

Will, Mike, and I crowd around the pinball machine as I take the lead. Meanwhile, the stalkers extraordinaire occupy the Pac-Man machine to our left. Despite his laser focus, Lucas continues to gossip with Dustin about the red head.

"Hey, isn't that your mystery girl?" Mike pipes up, snapping them out of their rhythm.

"Looks like she's doing pretty good." I tease Dustin as I realise she's at the Dig Dug machine.

"Do you think she's MADMAX?" Lucas suggests an identity.

"No way." Dustin shuts him down.

"Why not?" Mike questions.

"Yeah, we've seen her around here before, and she's destroying the game right now." Lucas justifies his theory.

"Because... she's a girl." Is all he can come up with.

"Oh, please! Henderson, I'm better than you at half the games here!" I object and move towards them to let Will have a turn on the pinball machine.

"Not Dig Dug!" He fires back with a look of sarcasm and smugness.

"Come back to me when you beat my high score on Donkey Kong Jr." I match his energy.

"Fine. I suppose there is a chance, however slim, that she could be the one." He admits.

Our sniping continues for a little longer before we return to our casual chatting and gaming. To nobody's surprise, the possibility of the skater girl being Dustin's mortal enemy is the topic of conversation. The boys bicker about whether or not they should confront the girl given their sudden obsession paired with Dustin's mission. Wanting to finally put an end to this saga, I slip away from the party with them too enthralled in their games and debates to realise.