Dueling club

"I am Viviana Antashia Silver-Rust Celliumtru Blue. You all can call me Blue for the time being. So as you all know from the fliers we meet every Friday afternoon and Sunday morning if you can't make one or want to attend both. Please split into two groups. Half with me and half with Professor Lupin. I wasn't expecting such a large turn out today so we will be moving a bit slower than expected. First thing, don't kill each other. Injuries are expected but there is no shame in losing a duel. As of right now though our priority is learning the patronus charm. Professor Lupin will explain it. Those of you who already know it please come and meet me over there," I say.

A few 7th years and a handful of sixth years come find me. I separate them up. Half would help Lupin teach and half would help me. Each person was able to teach a group of 8. Lupin and I taught a demonstration and then circled around the room to make sure everything was going right.

"I'm not doing it right. Tell me what I need to fix," Oliver mopes.

"Demanding much. What are you thinking of? Your happiest memory? What is it?" I ask walking closer to where Oliver is.

"When I got my first broom I suppose but I don't think it's happy enough."

"Maybe that's the issue, you're thinking too much about if it's happy enough. Just remember it and relive that joy then cast the charm," I say, I close my eyes and demonstrate it for him. When I open them again I see my patronus coming out from my wand. A phoenix made out of silver strands.

Oliver gazes at my patronus in awe and closes his eyes to conjure his own. He gets the wand motion completely wrong but silver whisps still come out of the wand.

"Having trouble there captain?" Fred laughs.

"It takes weeks to learn a charm like this Fred. Do me a favor and knock Fred on the head George," I glare, directing my attention back to Oliver I urge him to try again.

He thinks of the memory again and I wrap my arm around his to show him the wand movements. He thinks of the memory and as he says the spell I move his arms for him. His patronus comes out. A silver beaver. I hit his arm rapidly in joy.

"You did it Wood. Open your eyes you git you did it!" I jump.

I grab his arms and move them to try and express how exciting this moment was. He just looks at me as if mesmerized.

"Look at your patronus not me. Hurry before it fades," I say pointing at the beaver that was running around the sky.

He looks up at the beaver almost unwillingly and then breaks out into a soft smile.

"On the first day too. Suppose you have more skills then just keeper," I muse.

"All thanks to you Ash. I bet the others are wanting your help too now. Go ahead, I'll practice."

I walk away and go find others to help. I find my way to the twins. I look back at Oliver and see him going back to struggling. Only creating sliver sparks again. We have time I think to myself. I'll teach him again next meeting.

"Awfully intimate way of teaching Ash. Reckon Oliver fell in love with you again?" Fred teases.

"Oh shut it, I've been teaching everyone like that. Now what do you mean again?" I look at the twins.

"Don't act like you forgot about the beginning of second year. Still upset you hid your amazing quidditch skill from us," George scoffs.

"Alright Alright. Cast your patronus, show me what you've got."

Fred and George close their eyes and attempt the patronus. George summons a few light wisps that don't fully form. Fred doesn't make anything appear at all.

"It was a good try, George. Let me know when you start, Fred," I mock.

George laughs at his brother and Fred looks unamused.

"Fine, fine. What memory were you thinking of"

"I was thinking of when we first met. I crashed into you and you refused to help me up," Fred says.

"I was thinking of when we pranked Snape at the end of second year," George smiles.

"Clearly Fred's memory wasn't happy enough. I'm quite sure you did the spell right. Maybe the motion was off, do it again," I say.

Fred does it again and I notice he was a bit stiff in the motion.

"You need to make the circle bigger. Lean into it. What memory do you think of this time?" I ask.

"I'd rather not say this time."

"Alright try again," I say.

He makes the circle bigger but is still incredibly stiff. I start getting annoyed. It didn't look like he was taking this seriously.

"Alright alright. You need to have more confidence in the spell. You're a wizard, you have magic. Lean into it more, you're just drawing a circle in the air," I teach as Fred does the motion again just as stiff as before, "That's it. I've had enough."

I stand in front of Fred as though he were giving me a hug from behind and grab his wand arm. I tell him to relax it and lean into the circle. I do the wand motion but he still feels stiff.

"If you don't relax I'm going to push you off your broom. Focus," I threaten.

Fred smiles a bit and leans in closer to me. I feel him relax and do the wand motion again. We do this a couple of times until I figure it's as good as it's going to get.

He casts the charm again and this time he gets a few silver strands out from his wand. I sigh and go back to watch George's progress. They were at about the same level now. At least they were getting somewhere. They knew the spell I just had to teach them how to use it.

"Alright that's enough for today, get some rest and we hope to see you next week," Lupin says with a voice amplification.

"That's it. Time sure flew," I say looking at my watch.

"Spending all your time with your crush, Wood, does that," Fred teases.

"Wish I could say the same to you but... where's Angelina?" I ask.

"Avoiding Fred. He sure knows how to keep the ladies away," George laughs at his brother and puts and arm around Ash.

This wasn't true at all. The Weasley twins always attracted a crowd of eager fans. They never really seemed to date though. Not for as long as Ash has known them. She saw George flirt with some girls and go on a few dates but it wasn't serious enough for him to tell her about it. Fred too though he seemed to have a crush on Angelina from her knowledge. He never denied it. Fred looks annoyed for a second but laughs it off and knocks George arm away so he can put his around Ash's shoulders. I roll my eyes as they walk me to my common room.

"Tell the others I appreciate them coming to my first meeting. Give this to Harry also," I say giving Fred a small gift, "It's a dog treat. I've noticed he's gotten a bit of a grim following him. Just wanted to let him know that I know."

"Caring as always, good night Ash," George kisses my forehead and I hug Fred goodbye.