More than friends

I was in the Gryffindor common room with Fred and George. They were coming up with a new prank. I notice that Fred looked different from usual so when George left to grab something I scooted closer to Fred.

"Hey what's up?" I ask.

"...it's nothing. Just thinking."

"About what? Come on you've been moping all day. Just tell me."

"I asked someone out today and they said no," Fred looks away.

"Oh. I'm sorry Fred. I didn't even know you were interested in anyone."

"They said they didn't want to date me because of you," Fred gives me a weak smile.

"Me?"

"Said we were too close and romantic to be just friends."

I scoot farther away from Fred. I distance that is normal between friends.

"Well tell em there's nothing between us and you've spoken to me about it and we'll set boundaries. You're a catch she shouldn't let you slip away because of me. Accio Gryffindor sweater," I cast.

"Ash..."

"Here. Your sweater back. A respectable distance. I won't even play flirt with you."

"Well that's just boring. Come on, besides they are not worth losing you," Fred pulls me into a hug.

I return it. My cheek against his neck.

George whistles, "am I interrupting something?"

"When I dated Draco... I distanced myself from y'all right?"

"Yeah I'd say so. Why do you ask?" George says.

"I just thought about it. I completely understand someone being uncomfortable because of our friendship. We're too close," I explain.

"Told you about Caroline?"

"Yeah."

Fred adjusts to put my head on his shoulder and wraps an arm around my shoulder.

"You can't cuddle me like this if you have a girlfriend. Even if  it doesn't mean we like each other in that way. Out of respect," I sigh.

"I know."

"We both know," George rolls his eyes as he sits down besides Fred and starts gathering the notes, "of course you and Fred are practically already head over heels so that'll be much more threatening than a hug."

"We are not head over heels," I roll my eyes.

"And I'm not a twin with red hair," George counters.

"Come on let's work on the prank," Fred smiles.