Chapter 12

LISA'S POV
In the morning, I was up early, showered, made up my hair and face, dressed in a red leather skirt and silk red shirt, black boots and some subtle jewelry. Before leaving for work, I went back into the bedroom, bent down and placed a soft kiss on Shannon's sleeping lips.
"Mmmmm." He woke up. "You going to work?"
"Yeah. Have a fun day." I moved his hair from his eyes.
"I'll try. I'm sure that Jared has things to work on."
"You know that you can hang here as long as you want."
"With you gone, I'll have nothing to do."
I kissed him again. "Call you later."
"Okay. Nice outfit by the way."
"Thank you." I waved as I left the room to go to the car.
Parking in the back of the gallery, I unlocked the door, shut off the alarm and walked to the inner office. Before opening, I recounted the register, checked any messages, made notes to call people back then went to open the door for the employees. There were two tour guides, one woman to take admissions and two people in the gift shop. I oversaw the day-to-day operations when Mr. Ward was gone, which was most days. To my surprise, he walked in shortly after I opened the door.
"Morning. I didn't expect you today." I greeted.
"I thought that I could free you up to walk around. Maybe give more information on the exhibits." He explained.
"That'd be great. I love talking about this."
"I know that too. Have a great time."
I must have had a huge smile on my face. He laughed as he went to his office. Here I was, in my early thirties, and all I wanted was to scream in happiness like a teenage girl. Instead, I took out my phone and sent a message to Shannon. He sent one back.
"Stay calm. You'll be great. Love you...S"
Two school tours were scheduled, one elementary, one freshmen high school class. The high schoolers were okay with the the regular tour. At one point, with the young kids, someone asked about the mummies and sarcophagus. The tour guide, a young man studying history, wasn't sure. I went over and explained how they prepared the body before wrapping. When I told them about removing the organs, they had a collective "ew", with one boy shouting "cool". It was pretty relaxed after those tours were finished, mostly people who wanted to look around. I was hanging around the admissions desk after lunch talking to Patricia, the desk clerk. She had asked about the concert, knowing that I didn't normally listen to alternative music. I told her that it was a fun experience. She didn't really know about Shannon, so I knew that it was an innocent question.
"Excuse me. I'm here for a tour." A man spoke behind me.
"Of course sir. How many in your party?" Patricia asked.
Turning my head, I recognized Tomo's smiling face. He was dressed in jeans, a black Tshirt and leather jacket.
"Hi. What are you doing here?" I smiled back.
"Thought that I'd take a day for myself. I've wanted to see this exhibit." He shrugged.
"Great. I'll take him around Patricia."
"Okay." She nodded.
"Oh. Personal attention. I like this." Tomo followed as I began walking.
"Only for the special people."
"Lead on."
It was fun to take Tomo around, explain things and have a conversation with someone that was interested.
"Does Jared know you're playing hooky?" I joked, sharing a cup of coffee with him.
"Yes. He's great but sometimes you need a break." He sipped from the paper cup.
I laughed.
"He's gonna kill me but I have to tell you something."
"What's that?"
"Before he knew that you were Shannon's girlfriend, before the concert, I think that he was planning on getting your phone number. Even last night, when you came to the door. He doesn't get impressed very easy."
I looked at him seriously. "I seem to have that problem."
"Problem?"
"All or nothing. No relationship or some kind of complication. I truly love Shannon and would never, ever do anything to betray him."
"I can tell. Just don't be surprised if Jared pays a lot of attention to you. I'm sure that it'll pass."
"I hope so."
The small walkie phone I was carrying went off. I press the button and replied to the page.
"Sorry to bother you Lisa, but we have some trouble in the portrait room." Ken, a tour guide, called.
"Okay. Be right there." I assured him. "Sorry Tomo. I've got to go check this."
"Mind of I tag along? It's on the way out."
"Not at all."
It only took a short walk to get to the room the paintings hung in. I saw a tall man, blond and thin, attempting to remove one from the wall.
"Not again." I sighed.
"Popular painting?" Tomo asked.
"Disgruntled artist." I answered and went over. "Jonathan what are you doing?"
"I'll sell it myself." He was angry.
"And how will you do that?"
"I have people that can sell it."
I reached over, grabbed his arm, so I could turn him around to talk. To my surprise, his arm flew out, hand hitting the side of my face with a force that knocked me down. I felt a pain in my side.
"Don't touch me!" Jonathan yelled.
"Dude! What the hell?!" Tomo was beside me, helping me to sit up.
"You said it would sell! It's still here." He yelled.
"Christ Jonathan. It's only been two days." I responded holding my face as it throbbed.
"I need the money!"
"You need to calm the fuck down." Tomo stood up to confront him.
"Get away from me." He stared at Tomo's pissed off expression.
"You want me to give you some of what you just did to her?" Tomo questioned
"Wait! Hold it." I reached up. "Help me up please."
Tomo held my arm as I got to my feet. I held onto his as I looked at Jonathan. He was agitated and twitchy, probably high.
"Have I ever not sold a painting of yours? You do great work. You need a little patience. Go home, stay sober. Trust me with this okay? Just go home." I reasoned.
It took a few moments but he relaxed and nodded. "I'm sorry about that. I know that you like my work. It's just hard."
"It is. People like your work. It'll sell." I spoke softer.
"Sorry man. I'm not usually that aggressive." He apologized to Tomo.
"Next time place that somewhere else. And it is a good painting." Tomo shook his hand.
That took some anger out of Jonathan as he left the gallery.
"Son of a bitch!" I bent down, feeling the pain in my face and side.
"Come on. I'll take you to your office." Tomo took my hand and placed a hand on my back.
I knew that there would be a bruise and I wasn't sure why my side hurt. Mr. Ward told me to take the rest of the day off and rest. Tomo insisted on driving me home, since he'd taken a taxi to the gallery.
"How will you get home?" I asked as we stepped into the house.
"I'll call a cab. I want to make sure that you're okay before I go." He was concerned.
"Think I'll just lay down in my old bathrobe. Comfy and fluffy."
"Just like Shannon." He joked.
"Not so fluffy. Please don't tell him. Imply explain later."
"He won't hear it from me."
"Thanks."
"I'll get you a drink and leave you to rest."
"That's not necessary."
"Maybe but I want to."
In the bedroom, I got out of my clothes, slipped on my boy short panties and a sports bra then wrapped myself in a big soft bathrobe.
"Are you sure that you're okay? He hit you pretty hard." Tomo asked when I re-entered the room.
"Just a throbbing headache. Once I get some sleep it'll go away." I sat on the sofa, a little wobbly.
"Hey. Take it easy there." He brought me over a glass of water and cup of tea.
"No worries. Balance is a bit off." I took the cup from him as he sat down.
"How were you so cool at the gallery, when you were..."
"Vacant at the arena?"
"Well yeah."
"I was in control of things in the gallery. In the arena, it was unfamiliar. I zoned out so I wouldn't be there. Only I remember later and freak out. If Shannon hadn't been there, I don't know what would've happened. It's like a completely different life."
"Trauma can do that to you."
I looked at him. He was totally sincere and attentive. "Thanks for driving me home."
"Anytime. I'll let you rest and I won't tell Shannon a thing."
"I appreciate that."
"Take care of that bruise you're gonna get."
"It's all good Moj Prijatey."
"You know Croatian?" I'd called him "my friend".
"I told you. I studied the history."
Tomo smiled as he walked to the door. "See you later Lisa."
"Definitely Tomo." I curled myself onto the sofa as he left.

SHANNON'S POV
It was almost midnight when Jared finally got tired. We had been working all day on some new song ideas.
"I think I'm spent for the day." Jared fell back into a chair.
"We got some good stuff down. But I'm beat." I looked at my watch. "Is that the time?"
"Yep."
"Strange that Lisa didn't call."
"Maybe she went out after work."
"Maybe. Anyway, I'm out of here." I grabbed my jacket
"You're going over to her place now?"
"Well yeah. If I know you, and I really do, you'll be up at six o'clock and star over again. At least I'll get some sleep at Lisa's. Night Bro."
"Yeah. Night."
I left the home studio, went to the garage, put on my jacket and helmet and pulled out to drive back to Lisa's house. It was strange that she didn't call. We always talked at least once a day when I was home, when not together. At least I could sleep next to her and be relaxed.
Pulling up, I shut off the bike, walked to the front door-strange it wasn't locked. The lights were off. Cautiously, I flipped the switch in the main hall, slowly walked in and saw that she was asleep on the sofa. She was laying across the cushions, faced away with her robe open, dressed in a bra and cotton panties. I had to laugh.
"Still tired from the weekend." Going over, I bent down and looked at her sleeping form. "Come on Babe. Let's get you to bed. You've had a busy weekend."
Putting one arm under her legs, and the other behind her back, I lifted her and carried her to the bedroom. She curled her head into my neck and wrapped her hands around my shoulders. Balancing carefully, I pulled down the blankets and set net on the sheets. Leaving off the lights, I took off her robe, my own clothes and climbed in behind her, fitting into her body.
"My favourite blanket." She said sleepily, holding my arm around herself.
"Can't sleep home without you." I kissed her shoulder.
"I'm so glad you're home." She melted into my body and was asleep again.
I followed soon, listening to her quiet breathing.